Eisteddfod what a load of shit ?

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
11/12/09 06:35:09AM
568 posts
Song, let them take it,For there's more enterpriseIn walking naked. ?
Howard Evans
@howard-evans
11/06/09 05:34:30PM
7 posts
I was privileged to attend the National Eisteddfod this year and came away feeling proud to be Welsh. I don't speak a word of the language, but I came to understand the culture that separates the Welsh from the other inhabitants of the island. The ceremony is just that, not the essence of the Eisteddfod. The ceremonies are conducted to honor those who contribute significantly to the preservation of a heritage thought lost.I was especially awed by the denial of the Chair. In today's world we honor mediocrity which lowers standards and expectations. I again feel proud to be Welsh.I met many native Welsh who were so anxious to share and explain the experience. I was completely blown away by this as my recollection was of a people who were pretty difficult to know. We met some "life-long" friends there and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Paul Durden
@paul-durden
10/23/09 12:14:58AM
15 posts
The Three Word Story Forum, takes up two words to many for the likes of little old me, please try from the bottom of your heart, or the heart of your bottom to be a bit more brief in the word dept. i.e Three Words.As Samuel Becket once said " All we Have left is Words" anyrate "Nos Tar" "Ta Tar" "Yachie Dar"" Viva La Nokia" " I Was Born Under a Wondering Star" "Point Me in the Direction of the Free Bar" ..............
mona everett
@mona-everett
10/22/09 11:02:30PM
30 posts
Is that what that smell is? And here I thought it was coming from the direction of The Three-Word Story Forum.....Eisteddfodau am byth! Yn Nghymraeg, gyda y dderwydd!
Paul Durden
@paul-durden
10/18/09 01:09:24AM
15 posts
Oh yes, I must agree the national eisteddfod is a true reflection of twenty first century Welsh culture. Really Boring...Try it and see......
Paul Durden
@paul-durden
10/14/09 03:13:49AM
15 posts
Pretty, Shitty, City, was not my take on a Dylan Thomas phrase. It was my winning entry to the Marks and Spencer competition during Swanseas year of literiture about 14 years ago thank you very much...A phrase that I think Dylan Thomas would have wished he had dreamt up...Oh how I love the smell of pencil lead drifting over the horizon ?
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
10/13/09 11:45:37PM
568 posts
May be over there next year around about October time....in which case I'll check it out. Meanwhile is it on the events page for this year? If not send us some details and we'll put it on and feature it.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
10/13/09 11:43:49PM
568 posts
I take the phrase to refer to the West Coast of North America. It's on the left hand side as you look at the map ( unless of course the map is upside down )
Dylan Thomas Birthplace
@dylan-thomas-birthplace
10/13/09 11:35:17PM
1 posts
So..it's "pretty, shitty eisteddfodi" now which makes a change from Paul Durden's previous take on the Dylan Thomas phrase "ugly, lovely town" (Twin Towns - an unfortunate but funny tale of the real Swansea - worth watching).Good to see such a wealth of comments but most miss the point that Paul was making and only Ian Price seems to have grasped that the jobsworths in white robes is a made up Welsh tradition.If you want something that celebrates Welsh culture at street level with no swords but plenty of fun then come along to Dylan Down the Ups - a celebration of Dylan Thomas' 95th birthday anniversary in the Uplands, Swansea on 27th October.More information on the website and for hotel offers come and stay at Swansea's own White House
Paul Durden
@paul-durden
10/13/09 11:16:57PM
15 posts
Try Patagonia, I find it always works for me, Nos Ta and Tat Tar.
susanne mcguire schultz
@susanne-mcguire-schultz
10/13/09 12:47:43PM
4 posts
I may be a dum or unenlightened American but what is Left Coast?
Vicki Edmunds
@vicki-edmunds
10/12/09 06:20:10PM
1 posts
I always miss the Eisteddfod because it is held during August when I get to go on my holiday. I have been tempted to make the Eisteddfod my holiday destination but the call of the sun has always won me over. When I am too old to travel you will find me in my wheelchair being pushed around the muddy field.
gwyncy jones
@gwyncy-jones
09/30/09 12:27:19AM
6 posts
those lads up north are more owain glyndwr types.....twm is a bit more local to cilycwm......although....the caves near aberedw can tell a tale or two!........so they say........porthcawl to do with twit town and mr durden....thank god!.......although...just spent a peaceful weekend with the man!.....durden that is!....not god.........
Gareth Williams3
@gareth-williams3
09/28/09 12:50:10PM
21 posts
Tri cynnig i Gymry (Three tries for Welsh). There's 3 Eisteddfod (Without counting regionals and schools etc) . International Eisteddfod , National Eisteddfod and Urdd Eisteddfod
Gareth Williams3
@gareth-williams3
09/27/09 07:36:37AM
21 posts
But Cymru/CymryOn Wikipedia The word Cymry is believed to be derived from the Brythonic combrogi, meaning fellow-countrymen,[26] and thus Cymru carries a sense of "land of fellow-countrymen", "our country"- and, of course, notions of fraternity.
Gareth Williams3
@gareth-williams3
09/27/09 07:28:11AM
21 posts
Isn't being Welsh seen as equal to being from any other country already?On Wikipedia The English name "Wales" originates from the Germanic word Walh or Waelisc, which referred to foreigners who had been "Romanised". Waelisc also provides the source of English word Welsh. As the terms Walh or Waelisc were not used by Germanic speakers to describe their eastern neighbours, it would have had a meaning that was more than just "foreigner".
Gareth Williams3
@gareth-williams3
09/27/09 07:07:12AM
21 posts
...... Must have been a pirated copy I had.The other week I sat down in the north , placed Twin Town in the DVD player and watched Twin Town . It worked .Have you checked whether they placed Twin Town in DVD player and not VHS player (or worst case scenario BETA max)Or is the problem getting the DVD player across the border control into the north?Try sneaking it over the border control next year, around the 3rd week of August, the border control will be weak then. They'll all probably be at Twm Sion Cati's birthday bash.
gwyncy jones
@gwyncy-jones
09/19/09 07:03:29PM
6 posts
i myself...and i....are teatotal.......but bearing in mind the old colonial ethos......make that an americano!
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
09/19/09 02:57:29AM
568 posts
I shall bear that in mind if he accepts our invite to the LCE next year? And what is your poison sir?
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
09/19/09 02:51:57AM
568 posts
I'm sure we are all perfectly safe in Mr Durden's capable hands. We rely upon him to spread cheery and affable dissension amongst the ranks....no need to apologise for the spelling old chap.:)
gwyncy jones
@gwyncy-jones
09/19/09 02:38:29AM
6 posts
as mr durdens pr chap i must point out my client is a vodka man.....as befits a true red soldier!!!.....diolch......
gwyncy jones
@gwyncy-jones
09/19/09 02:35:05AM
6 posts
ah...mr Durden.........how come you know what the man in the white frock said when he took out his weapon?.....you must have an interest in this ceremony!!!........come on....your a closet taff!!!.....admit it........is it true they are going to sub title Twin town yn gymraeg!!!...........can't wait!!!
gwyncy jones
@gwyncy-jones
09/19/09 02:29:47AM
6 posts
poor iolo.......he too like mr durden.....fooled all the academics.......gwillym tew...........if your going to pass yourself off as a poet you may as well pick a good one!!!......i am in fact the bastard son of dylan thomas......i sit and stare at these stumblin staggering streets that make up this wall less prison,rapid rhondda rain diagonally dissects the orange glow of some artless architects concrete cock up......etc.....yes lads....i have my fathers gift!.....don't you think!!!......hwl!
gwyncy jones
@gwyncy-jones
09/19/09 02:21:40AM
6 posts
my friends....you have all played into the hands of mr durden!!!....a salford boy himself!...........but twin town would not have worked up north.......just as mr durden does n't work down south!.....or anywhere else for that matter!.......i should know....i'm his publicist........sorry for the correct spelling......Pentre secondry grammar.....well....just the odd blip!........ironic really......no.....really!!
Brian y Tarw Llwyd
@brian-y-tarw-llwyd
09/10/09 09:38:37PM
33 posts
I have to agree. For 700 years, the Anglo-Saxons have tried to sweep Welsh culture out of existence, and the church before them, and the Romans before that. One must start somewhere, and if we have to re-invent Celtic and druid and Welsh, it will be well worth the effort. Too much has been lost already, but the effort to persist in spite of it all remains strong in many. Can you feel the hiraeth to the marrow? I can.BendithionBrian
Brian y Tarw Llwyd
@brian-y-tarw-llwyd
09/10/09 09:32:23PM
33 posts
Thank you for this wonderful description.
Howard Evans
@howard-evans
08/25/09 10:02:36PM
7 posts
I can personally attest to the warm welcome! I never felt so much at home while being so far from it. I met several people whom "I knew my whole life" and left them with a tug at my heart. I do not speak Welsh, but I didn't need to. I was able understand the gist of the proceedings at the presentations, and was helped by a neighbor when I couldn't. I was very proud to know that the judges had the capacity to leave an award ungiven rather than give it to someone who didn't meet the established standards. I'm truly sorry that it took me so long to get there, and I may not be able to go again, but I'm also so grateful that I went at least once.
Ned Phillips-Jones
@ned-phillips-jones
08/25/09 10:00:25PM
2 posts
Despite the fact that Eisteddfod ceremonies were created out of very little actual knowledge of druid ceremonies, I see no problem with them as an attempt at resurrecting cultural practices. It represents an ancient lineage of identity, and i see it as worthwhile even if for that reason only. It's true at times it did resemble something out of a recent Narnia movie, but I found it to be a moving experience. While likely not on the same level of importance as christianity for many people, the Gorsedd and their ceremonies are taken very seriously by Eisteddfod attendees. What's wrong with an attempt at revival? As for Iolo, while I don't know a lot about the man, I know enough to say that he was a Welsh mystic and notorious character who had imaginative capacities beyond those of normal people.
Gareth Williams3
@gareth-williams3
08/13/09 03:20:14AM
21 posts
The day it becomes Bi-lingual is the day Owain Glyndwr gives up the Ghost, and comes out of the cave, riding down the mountain gathering up his men of arms along the way ................................ I am not against Bi-lingualism but Colonisation. Why should Eisteddfod be in English? It is Cymraeg as is Cawl .................. NO TRANSLATION.
Ian Price2
@ian-price2
08/10/09 08:39:21PM
32 posts
True! Oh so true. LOL.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
08/07/09 05:21:49PM
568 posts
A bit harsh Ian....surely Iolo Morgannwg is also one of our most amusing eccentrics? Also....since when was talking crap ( under the influence of dope or beer ) a problem in Wales?
Emyr
@emyr
08/07/09 05:14:45PM
0 posts
The National Eisteddfod of Wales is a major festival which provides an opportunity for visitors to be part of a convivial gathering to celebrate Wales' wealth of culture. Did you know that the first Eisteddfod was held in Cardigan back in 1176, but was revived and held in its present form in Aberdare in 1860?The Eisteddfod is one of the world's greatest festivals, and one of the oldest manifestations of Welsh culture and heritage that attracts around 160,000 visitors annually. It also plays an important role in the life of a nation by promoting the Welsh language and the arts. The Eisteddfod is also a launch pad for Wales' most talented performers - the famous Welsh baritone Bryn Terfel is a former Eisteddfod winner!The Pavilion is the focus of the Eisteddfod. This is where the ceremonies, competitions and the concerts take place. On the field there's also a theatre, an art and crafts exhibition, a literary tent, a Welsh learners pavilion (Maes D), a science and technology exhibition and a pulsating youth tent (Maes B) as well as over 300 stands.The evenings are full of entertainment too - on the field and in the local area: pop, folk, rock and hip hop concerts, classical plays, comedy shows and lots of parties for people of all ages!The Order of the Bards (Gorsedd) consists of bards of course, but also people who have made a distinguished contribution to the Welsh nation, language and culture. Members of the Order are dressed in white, blue or green robes according to their rank or order. The people in white are the most important! The Order is responsible for three main events held in the main Eisteddfod pavilion: the Crowning of the Bard, the Prose Medal and the Chairing of the Bard ceremonies.It costs around 3.1 million to stage the Eisteddfod every year. Local communities are responsible for raising a large proportion of the money through fund-raising activities, which brings the local people together to enjoy a whole calendar of social activities.Importantly, the Eisteddfod depends on an army of volunteers who give their time and energy to ensure that the festival is a success.Welsh is the official language of the festival, but translation equipment is available for those who would like a simultaneous translation service during the main pavilion ceremonies. There's a warm welcome for everyone at the Eisteddfod.
Rebecca Redmile
@rebecca-redmile
08/07/09 03:03:34PM
6 posts
Well, it's a good thing Wales has both the international and the national Esteddfod, then isn't it? As for me, just to add a little extra flavour to this soup, I'll defend the monoglot status of the National Eisteddfod and say, we need places where Welsh is the only language spoken, if we hope to ever achieve real bilingualism there. Minority languages always encounter opposition to designating unilingual status.I'm not sure the statistics you quoted are correct, regarding the ability to speak Welsh of the people in counties where the Eisteddfod is funded. Where did they come from?
Ian Price2
@ian-price2
08/07/09 09:01:41AM
32 posts
It's all down to that Iolo Morganwg - an opium abusing charlatan and fraudster who started the whole charade on Primrose Hill in London on June 21st 1792. It's funded by the 22 unitary authorities in Wales - 80% of whose population are monoglot English speakers and therefore not welcome on the Maes.The day when this made up nationalistic tin pot tribalism drops the Druidic bollocks and becomes totally bi-lingual will be the day I'll shout its merits to the roof tops. Thank the stars for the International Eisteddfod at Llangollen.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
08/07/09 06:23:51AM
568 posts
Well Paul....it seems you take a slightly jaundiced view. But come on...its just a ceremony. Lighten up ...chill...have another sixpack.
Paul Durden
@paul-durden
08/07/09 03:17:33AM
15 posts
Why does the bloke in the white dress pull out his sword, then ask the audience is there peace in Wales, then without listening to a soul or even the mood of the moment pushes it back in it's sheath....will somebody please tell the deaf old git there is not peace in Wales. He must also be blind the poor out of touch bugger. How much longer do we have to put up with these brown noseing jobsworth's, please give us a break, wake up, get real, stop living in a dream pagent, You got a chance of being totaly honest for once in your lives before you just sink into that great ocean of meadeocraty...sorry about the spelling, I put it down to my Welsh education, still never mind egh.
updated by @paul-durden: 11/11/15 10:37:25PM