Hey, Everybody, Should We Have a New Name and a New Logo?

Dilwyn Jeffreys Phillips
@dilwyn-jeffreys-phillips
10/05/09 07:11:41AM
4 posts
or the UN flag
Byn (Bynbrynman)Tavarn Ty Elise
@byn-bynbrynmantavarn-ty-elise
10/04/09 12:38:34PM
2 posts
I notice that these were written back in January and I haven't gone through them all, but I would just say that St. David is the only Patron Saint of these islands who represents his own Country.
Diane Kern
@diane-kern
09/30/09 01:28:18AM
1 posts
As the Chinese dragon holds a pearl in its claws, why not our dragon holding the globe?
Elizabeth Williams Wallace
@elizabeth-williams-wallace
09/23/09 06:46:32AM
1 posts
Meical: I'm a new member of this forum, living in Vancouver, BC. I'd really like to see your design. Would you be willing to give me access. Diolch yn fawr, Elizabeth Williams Wallace(who also wants to say diolch for reminding me of the Wallace etymology.
Russell Sheppard
@russell-sheppard
06/20/09 01:53:40PM
1 posts
I think "AmeriCymru" with its Welsh dragon and American stars and stripes is already "Perfect", when I first saw this I smiled to myself and thought how apt is it for Welsh decendants living in America, I say don't change it.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
06/17/09 12:25:21AM
568 posts
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far.....please keep them coming. Its kind of a dilemma for us. We like the name and we like the logo BUT we have somewhat outgrown both. Changing the name is a non-starter for the foreseeable future since that would have unfavorable SEO repercussions but we are looking at everyones suggestions for a redesigned logo and/or site banner. Diolch.
magali roberts
@magali-roberts
06/16/09 10:55:53PM
2 posts
"y ddraig coch"... ALONE... without any banner. I'm from Chubut, Argentina. great-great daughther of First Colonos(sorry, I don't speach english).
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
06/16/09 08:39:18AM
568 posts
What does anyone think about keeping the logo but redesigning the banner to reflect the international composition of the site. I realise we havent revisited this topic for a while but we were thinking of doing some sort of redesign fairly soon. Any ideas?
Neil
@neil
03/20/09 01:50:33PM
19 posts
KEEP IT!
gaabi
@gaabi
01/20/09 11:05:30PM
135 posts
You bought a sweatshirt AND a hat?! Bless you , my son! lol ;)This is Ned's amazing new hoodie sweatshirt in which he will no doubt look fantastic and attract the admiration of all his fellows (shameless plug), and this is the design on it:

Ned Phillips-Jones
@ned-phillips-jones
01/20/09 03:47:53AM
2 posts
I have one thing to say on the logo topic. I recently bought an AmeriCymru hat and sweatshirt and I feel that the logo on the sweatshirt is superior. Instead of the rather busy looking flag-within-dragon logo, the one on the sweatshirt is a traditional red dragon on a background of an american flag segment (the segment occupying the same territory as the green on the Welsh flag). It is bold and balanced looking and the message comes through. You can check it out in the AmeriCymru store.
Ian Price2
@ian-price2
01/18/09 06:56:02AM
32 posts

Wild Canary
@wild-canary
01/17/09 01:03:04AM
10 posts
You guys are really thinking. Gaabi, you and Ceri have done so much of the work, I hope you keep your fingers in the pie and don't change it too much...this adding groups if other countries start a group is the best of the ideas, I think. And thanks for keeping it calm and clean...I am trying to encourage the family to participate.The fact that you are even discussing this is a testiment to your success. Congrats.
Wild Canary
@wild-canary
01/17/09 12:58:19AM
10 posts
Hmmm...this came up in the wrong place. I liked the first idea with one dragon...however, the competition sounds like fun, too. You might still end up with what you started with, though. I think that is good.
Wild Canary
@wild-canary
01/17/09 12:56:34AM
10 posts
Like your idea,Tam.
Wild Canary
@wild-canary
01/17/09 12:51:55AM
10 posts
Ta and thanks...since I am an American mongrel like many people. It seems the name and logo are drawing all those people from everywhere. Maybe you should stick with what is working?
MARK WILLIAMS
@mark-williams
01/15/09 12:57:11PM
1 posts
I would keep the name but maybe, if possible, change the logo so it represents the whole of the Americas not just the USA.
Emyr
@emyr
01/15/09 10:07:34AM
0 posts
St David was born to the royal house of Ceredigion.I was taught he was born in Henfynyw near Abaraeron.So how does that make him Irish!!!!!
gaabi
@gaabi
01/13/09 04:52:31PM
135 posts
Brilliant, Christopher! And I did misunderstand you, I just didn't want that thing to rachet up anymore. Sorry, I'm one of those chicks that just really can't bear discord and scurries around telling everyone to calm down.I had something like this same thought but you've gone way further in design concepts for different countries - maybe we could include groups with these logos on here?
Ymwelydd anfynych
@ymwelydd-anfynych
01/12/09 10:51:09PM
11 posts
Rydw i'n cytuno.
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 10:08:57PM
135 posts
Yep. Complicated is the kiss of death in a logo - you want that zen combo of three things + three colors, max.
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 09:58:06PM
8 posts
Shoo!!-- Go away fly!
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 09:50:05PM
568 posts
OK....Messrs Davies and Phillips..we appreciate that you are enjoying a full and frank discussion of your differences here and its all very entertaining for the rest of us too BUT might I respectfully suggest that you take a time out,, choose your seconds and meet with pistols at dawn. That way you could settle the matter while the rest of us concentrate on the logo issue.
Ymwelydd anfynych
@ymwelydd-anfynych
01/12/09 09:46:36PM
11 posts
Grammar moderator here. "Y Ddraig Goch" is of course correct. But take away the 'y' and it becomes "Draig Goch". No words in Welsh begin with "dd" unless they're mutated."Ddraig Goch!" would be correct: "O, Red Dragon!"But anyway: 'gwell Cymraeg crap na Saesneg slic'! :)
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 09:45:04PM
8 posts
Thanks for that compliment Gaabi! Some of my more simpler/effective designs are knocked together in a rather short period of time..
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 09:44:35PM
568 posts
Isn't the theory that his father was the king of Ceredigion? I've never seen anything that said he was Irish.
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 09:42:07PM
8 posts
No, actually it IS with a double "D".. Wow, you need to sit on a tranquilizer dart and calm down a little.. Some members here have a limited social life or need to get laid a bit more.. Put that energy into your girlfriend or boyfriend (if you have one)..
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 09:13:52PM
135 posts
Chill, please.
Ymwelydd anfynych
@ymwelydd-anfynych
01/12/09 09:07:16PM
11 posts
Mae rheswm da arall dros gadw'r enw, sef taw ym Mericia y dechreuodd y peth ac o fan hyn mae'n cael ei redeg.Byddai'n drueni newid ffocws y peth hyd yn oed cyn iddo gael cyfle i ymsefydlu'n iawn.Wn i ddim beth sy'n bod ar y logo, chwaith - mae'n syml, mae'n drawiadol... bydd angen rhywbeth da iawn i'w guro!
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 07:54:59PM
135 posts
Christopher, I like your idea of writing it always AmeriCymru, not only does it give both countries "equal billing," it looks more balanced. We've pretty much decided we're not changing the name as we like it too much. I have had a request from a couple of people, not a complaint, but it's been pointed out to me that we also have a lot of Canadians. This doesn't mean that the name has to change as "The Americas" are pretty much the whole western hemisphere.
Ymwelydd anfynych
@ymwelydd-anfynych
01/12/09 07:14:53PM
11 posts
Cytuno.
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 06:38:26PM
135 posts
LOL, there were also several stiff bristle brushes, if you prefer!
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 06:37:26PM
135 posts
That's a nice, uncomplicated design. Uncomplicated is good.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 08:07:33AM
568 posts
I like the image but I'd be a bit concerned about plonking the AC dragon in the middle of a picture of the glode. It would look like we were advocating some kind of new American Welsh world order. That wouldnt go down too well methinks.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 07:25:16AM
568 posts
hmmmmmm.....maybe we should come up with a list of possible designs and ask the members to vote on it. Or even include a logo competition in the Eisteddfod?
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 07:21:09AM
568 posts
Diolch Meical...I'll take a look now...siaradwn eto
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 07:19:21AM
8 posts
Sheesh! I didn't realize what time it was with all this fun (2:19am)!.. I'm off!But if you want to see a quick design I did for a Welsh Canadian group a few years back,then go here: http://americymru.ning.com/photo/2111712:Photo:26495?context=user I don't know if that stirs any ideas.. Hope it does!Cheers, Bore Dda!
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 07:18:35AM
568 posts
I like World Wide Welsh....although some people might think we were encroaching on their territory if we went with that....my main concern at the moment though is how the hell do I wrap a Maple Leaf around that dragon without making the whole thing look daft.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 07:15:54AM
568 posts
LOL....yeah we were worried about that when we posted the pic. Gaabriel can be very strict!
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 07:09:00AM
568 posts
Well...thats that then....back to the substantive issue of designing a new logo. I reckon we should keep the name as is...but we certainly need to incorporate the Maple Leaf into the design somewhere or somehow. We dont want to lose the dragon but we would'nt mind a design that incorporated the Canadian emblem somehow. We have a fair few Canadian members and we would like to attract more. Any ideas?
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 07:08:48AM
8 posts
What about "World Wide Welsh"?-- The alternate name I came up with? Also, sometimes North American Celts are called "New World" Celts too.. Maybe "New World Welsh"? Something like that..
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 07:03:01AM
8 posts
That paddle looks VERY fierce (not matter which end you whack me with!).. But, that might be something I look forward to!
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 07:01:52AM
568 posts
And St Patrick was Welsh! ( more or less...a Romano-Celtic remnant anyway )
Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 07:01:23AM
8 posts
Hahaha!!-- You have to have a sense of humor to appreciate some of my commentary.. My gosh, is everyone on here a crusty old fart? And might I add William Wallace, aka "Braveheart", the warrior for Scottish independence-- was of Welsh descent, even though he's born in Scotland.. The surname "Wallace" is actually derived from "Welshman"..
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/09 06:58:56AM
568 posts
A bit of inter-tribal rivalry is all very well mate but it sounds like you've got a bad case of St Patricks Day envy...........reckon I should point out that our Irish members are very welcome here.
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 06:37:49AM
135 posts
Meical, Meical, Meical! For your hideous pun I shall only said, "ooooooh!" but for your uncharitable anti-Irish remark you shall get this! (virtually):

Meic Phillips
@meic-phillips
01/12/09 06:19:57AM
8 posts
How about... "IRISH NEED NOT APPLY"? And show the mighty Ddraig Goch peeing on a Leprechaun?Or, if you wanted something more formal that would reflect a more global participation of Welsh diaspora.. how's about "WORLD WIDE WELSH"?Get it? "WWW"?-- Oh, I'm good..
gaabi
@gaabi
01/12/09 05:14:13AM
135 posts
LOL, love "Wncl Sam" - I did make Uncle Dai, though -

gaabi
@gaabi
01/09/09 04:32:19PM
135 posts
When Ceri and I started this network, we took the name from a blog that he was doing and our original idea was that we wanted to make a place on the internet where people of Welsh descent in the US could go to find each other and to find out about Wales and where we could all learn more about Welsh-American history.Since then, it's really turned into something a lot bigger and we now have members from everywhere: people who live in Wales, the US, Canada, Mexico, Korea, Australia, Uruguay and elsewhere all over and so I was thinking that maybe we need a logo and a name that includes everyone. Maybe the americymru name and logo could just be a Welsh-American sub-group.Does anyone have any input or ideas or anything they'd like to on this?
updated by @gaabi: 10/28/20 08:56:59PM