Madog ab Owain Gwynedd

David Lloyd4
@david-lloyd4
10/14/08 03:28:57AM
3 posts
Yesterday I promised to try to put up a bibliography. . Actually it is from Anna Lee Waldo's book Circle of Stars, an historical fiction. But the bibliography has a lot of solid history,etc. So here goes a start:"Afon Ganol Wall Fragments" Transactions of Carnarvonshire History Soc., (1956)Armstrong, Zella, Who Discovered America? The Amazing Story of Madoc ( The lookout Pub. Co,, Chattinooga, 1950)Chandler, Hatchett, "Gem 23, Prince Madoc," Little gems from Fort Morgan,The cradle of American History (The Christopher Publishing House, Boston, 1961.Chapman Paul H, , The Man Who Led Columbus to America (Judson Press, Atlanta, 1973)Davies Arthur, "Prince Madoc and the Discovery of North America in 1477," Journal of the Royal Geographic Society, England ( Vol. 150, No. 3, Nov. 1984).Well that's about enough for now, I think. There is a lot more. If you have a copy of Circle of Stars then you can get the jump on me. I've got the reference librarian working on gathering as many as she can find here in WI. I think there is enough evidence if you want to believe, but enough room to doubt if you don't want to believe - just like with anything else. I prefer to believe - if possible. ,
Harold Powell
@harold-powell
10/12/08 01:37:09AM
261 posts
I'm sure Thomas Jefferson knew of the legend and that is why, I believe, he chose Meriwether Lewis to head the Corp of Discovery for the northern route of the expedition. A less famous Corp of Discovery was sent on the southern route. Lewis and Jefferson corresponded in Welsh and both men, I'm sure, knew that in the legend of Madog he and his followers followed the Mississippi River to Missouri and proceeded north. While Jefferson and Lewis may have been sceptical of the legend they must have held out hope that the lost tribe of Madog would be discovered while mapping out the extent of the Louisiana Purchase.
Neil Hughes
@neil-hughes
10/12/08 01:03:25AM
37 posts
Hello David, thanks for the reply.I have been interested in the story of Madog for many years since I saw a BBC programme called Madog And The Welsh Indians.I was just wondering how many of my American cousins knew of the story and that(possibly) the first european to set foot on your soil was a Welsh prince,the son of the great Owain Gwynedd.
David Lloyd4
@david-lloyd4
10/12/08 12:45:31AM
3 posts
There are some books on the subject. I will try to get a bit of a bibliography posted this coming week. There is a lot of speculation, and lots of it is propoganda for the competing nations as to their claims on North America. Some of the originators of the information changed their stories, depending upon which country they were working for at the time of their statements. The single best piece of evidence, to my thinking, is the construction of stone fortifications up river from Mobile Bay. These are smilar in construction to of some of the old Welsh castles, and date from the right time period. No body else was building European style stone fortifications in North America at that time. I haven't read any other explanation of these buildings. I don't know if information on the subject is being actively suppressed at this time, or if it is just being ignored in the US.
Neil Hughes
@neil-hughes
10/11/08 11:48:39PM
37 posts
Does anyone here know the story of Madog ?More importantly does anyone believe it to be true ?
updated by @neil-hughes: 11/11/15 10:37:01PM