Penmaenmawr. San Fransisco of North Wales

Gareth Williams
@gareth-williams
08/07/08 03:54:34PM
77 posts
Well my good lady, I am nothing if not sexually secure.Like most things, I've never taken the whole sex thing too seriously and I certainly dont take myself too seriously, although I can be very very vain sometimes.No Im all for celebrating gayness. Im glad the world has moved on to a stage where a man or woman need not feel pressured to suppress their sexualty in order to conform and make two people unhappy and the kids.I had an aunt who married a man who in retrospect was gayer than a Maddona backing dancer but in the 50s he had to conform. Result= a highly unhappy marriage and massively disfynctional cousins of mine.So still, PENMAENMAWR????WHY????WHAT IS THE ATTRACTION?
gaabi
@gaabi
08/07/08 03:30:58PM
135 posts
"Like most straight guys I got a massive fascination with all things gay," That's the most hysterical, sexually secure statement I've ever heard from a straight man about gay men. You'd never hear an American guy say something like that.Here we used to have logger drag queens and I loved seeing them - big strapping guys with beards in satin evening gowns and their steel-toed work boots, stomping around a section of Portland weekend nights that used to be called "Boys Town", and in the bars there, but is mostly gone now. I liked them because they were totally out front and unapologetic, not really trying to look like women (no way could they, even with wax!) and just out to have their own good time on the weekend, then back to work.
Gareth Williams
@gareth-williams
08/07/08 02:57:50PM
77 posts
That was funny mate, bet you got hundreds of stories just like that.Ye a weird phenomenon Hugh, they been growing there since the early 90s probably or even earlier. F knows why though, Pen not exactly exotic location for man romance n lurve to bloom is it!!
Gareth Williams
@gareth-williams
08/07/08 11:05:36AM
77 posts
Like most straight guys I got a massive fascination with all things gay.Ever since I got invited to a drag party down in the Mortars Platoon block when I was a young soldier.Mortars was a hotbed of homosexuality, they were great blokes, it was like something out of a village people vid man. These were hardened soldiers who were up for anything life had to offer and to be fair they never interferred with any of the pretty younger soldiers at depot either. Not even me and I sure was pretty once!!!Anyways, does anyone out there know why Pen has become a magnet for gays throughout Wales, the Midlands and the North West?I drive through it sometimes just to see the outrageous queens taking their various sized dogs for walks just to check out what they wear. My wife worries about me and says she's sure I'm bi-curious, well I guess I am from a non participation point of view .
updated by @gareth-williams: 12/04/15 03:57:45PM