Copper day March 5th 2011 - Swansea

mona everett
@mona-everett
03/19/11 09:08:27PM
30 posts
Thank you, again, for posting this. I passed it on to the Glamorgan Family History Society and someone living right there in the midst of the old copperworks said there had not been any publicity, so she was glad to learn about it and canceled her plans and took the entire family. Also, I connected with a US historian who was in Swansea and going and he just mailed me a lot of good info from the Day. :) Not quite as good as being there, but a lot better than not even knowing about it!
mona everett
@mona-everett
03/02/11 05:31:18PM
30 posts
Hello, I wish I were in Wales, but I am in the US. My ancestors came from the Swansea/Llanelli area to Baltimore, Maryland, and were superintendents at the copper works here in the 1840s-90s. They recruited hundreds of other Welsh smelter workers to join them. Whenever I have been in Wales, (last August was my most recent visit) I have tried to find out as much as possible about the old copper works, etc., but this sounds like the best chance I would have had. Is anyone on Americymru going to this? Is there anyway to have any of the info sent to me here? I would be happy to pay for copies and mailing. I own many of the books and pamphlets published about the copper industry. Thank you, very much.
SteveFrann
@stevefrann
02/24/11 11:19:35AM
12 posts
Thank you for sharing this. I just heard this advertised on the radio. Looks very interesting.
Nigel T Packer
@nigel-t-packer
02/23/11 09:28:47PM
2 posts

About

A World of Welsh Copper logo

(credit: ESRC Global and Local Worlds of Welsh Copper Project)

Copper Day marks the 200th anniversary of the first copper ingot rolling out of the internationally-famed Hafod Copperworks of Vivian and Sons and the 50th birthday of the Lower Swansea Valley Project which began the worlds first post-industrial land reclamation scheme.

In the city that once smelted half of the worlds copper this festival of talks, tours, activities and information aims to raise awareness of the significance of the historic Welsh copper industry, its heritage, and the place of copper in our lives today.

For the full days programme of the events that are taking place in Swansea please go to the website:

Copper day events programme

updated by @nigel-t-packer: 11/11/15 10:37:46PM