Bangers'n'Mash - The Mystery Ingredient
With political debate raging, soaring unemployment and a presidential election only a few months away, the best way to prepare bangers'n'mash might not appear to be a burning issue. However....I still think it a matter of some significance. The subject has cropped up a few times in chat recently and I have threatened to reveal my mystery ingredient. So.....without any further ado the Welsh Chef reveals all:-
Serves 4 ( approx )
- 3lb bag of potatoes ( preferably reds )
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of sweetened peas or petit pois ( this is the mystery ingredient be sure the water has been sweetened )
- About 8 bangers ( your preference )
- 1 packet of gravy browning
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Wash and dice potatoes, add to salted water and boil for 20 mins. Remove water, mash and add butter to taste.
- Peel and dice onion, add garlic ( 2-3 cloves ) if required, fry on medium heat till reduced and browned. Scoop onions to one side and fry bangers in the same pan for extra flavor. Remove bangers when cooked and set aside. Add gravy browning and stir. Add water from Sweetened Peas or Petit Pois can and stir. The sweetened 'pea water' will enhance the flavour of the gravy. ( In my opinion this is the all important step and 'mystery ingredient' )
- Warm up the peas.
- Serve bangers, mash and peas piping hot with lashings of gravy over the top ( see pic below ). Lip smackin good
THE END RESULT