Publishing in Wales

Daffni Percival
@daffni-percival
07/11/10 11:53:05AM
6 posts
Bit of a belated update. The launch of my translation of Alphonse Daudet's 'Lettres de Mon Moulin' - LETTERS FROM MY MILL, about life in Provence a hundred years ago, went very well. We quite a good number of attenders and I enjoyed it much more than I should have enjoyed launching DR's book. Mine is now up and running and selling quite well in Britain and the States. I shall have to set about another translation project as I enjoyed that one very much. MY previous effort was Pushkin's notes for a book about Peter the Great [which he never wrote as he was killed in a duel]. That was interesting and educational but so difficult as the notes were in 17th century Russian. It did get me a nice complement though."There should be 15 volumes, coming out in batches of five, the first to appear on June 6, 1999, the anniversary of Pushkin's birth, the second in 2000. Both objectives were achieved but the final batch ran into difficulties over two volumes. One of these, The History of Peter, exists in Russian only in note form. As this impossible text drew from Daphne Percival an exceptional piece of scholarship, the time was well lost. "Made my day when I saw that. http://www.merilang.com/about/books-by-daffni-percival/
Daffni Percival
@daffni-percival
05/12/10 12:08:42PM
6 posts
I'm afraid this is rather less up-beat than the last post about Rachel Sarai's Vineyard.The promotion in Wales never did take place as the author emailed me suddenly to forbid me to promote the book and in fact to have any more printed.Unfortunately we had no contract so all I could do was cancel the book at the printers and try to do so on Amazon [that I have not yet succeeded in doing] but no more are being printed.As to the Welsh event, Fortunately there was just time to change most of the advance publicity for that and to promote a book of my own instead. But there is still a lot of places on the net advertising Ms Rey's book as being published by Merilang Press.I was furious as I had wasted time and money on the publication.Now I just want to clear the air and disown the book. Hopefully one learns from one's mistakes.Daffni
Daffni Percival
@daffni-percival
01/15/10 11:41:41AM
6 posts
Merilang Press is my own somewhat small publishing house.Last year I published Deborah Rey's novel, Rachel Sarai's Vineyard. The launch in London was a bit rushed and combined with David Gardiner's 'The Other End of the Rainbow' so I decided that Deborah's book should have a Welsh lainch. Not that the book is Welsh; it is set in wartime Holland under the Nazi occupation and the heroine is a little Jewish girl. But Merilang Press is Welsh so I thought that was a good enough excuse. The launch will be in the lovely settingThe launch will be on 12th March in the lovely setting of Ceridwen in Mid Wales. It will share the weekend with a book fair and other interesting events for writers.Here are details http://www.merilang.co.uk/shop/books/Ceridwenlaunch.htm Blewyddyn Newydd Dda i bawbDaffni
updated by @daffni-percival: 12/14/15 01:11:21PM