Les Mis Movie Review: SPOILER ALERT

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
01/21/13 11:16:28PM
302 posts

I've seen reviews that say Crowe is better than Jackman (and vice versa) and that no one could understand anything H Bonham Carter was singing. My cousin has just e-mailed saying that she wanted to give it a standing ovation! I'll just keep an open mind. Whatever happens, I think Cameron Mackintosh will be adding substantially to his bank account.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
01/21/13 08:11:31PM
261 posts

Those critics are credentialed! I thought Russel Crowe would have been better if he "talked on pitch" like Rex Harrison rather than sing his lines. He wasn't off key or anything but somehow I his performance would have been even better.

And this criticism may seem a little odd, but I thought the underground scenes in the sewer were less than impressive. These were supposed to be the sewers built byNapoleon. Hugo thought of them as one of the "wonders of the world" in their size and engineering.The movie version seemed small and cramped.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
01/21/13 07:54:19PM
302 posts

I saw this on Twitter a while ago and thought it was wonderful. Still haven't got to see the film because of the weather but will do so as soon as I can. There was a bit of a backlash against it at the weekend in one paper by one critic and apparently Marni Nixon (who sang for A Hepburn in My Fair Lady and Deborah Kerr in The King & I wasn't that impressed).

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
01/21/13 07:43:10PM
261 posts

After the wedding guests are waiting for the Best Man to offer a toast to the bride and groom when one of the guests stands and begins to sing:

John Bebb
@john-bebb
01/19/13 05:48:08PM
1 posts

I have seen the London stage version about six times and saw the film versionlast week and was not disappointed although I expected to be.

In the original cast was Michael Ball who played thepart of Marius and although born in Bromsgrove his family is from Mountain Ash. He is pround of his Welsh roots and he has sung the national anthem at the Millenium Stadium before aSix Nations rugby interantional. My wife loves him.

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
01/12/13 09:24:22PM
568 posts

hmmmm...I love these obscure foreign language movies. Will catch up with it on Netflix

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
01/12/13 04:03:08PM
302 posts

That is funny. I'm looking forward to seeing it as I loved the stage show (seen a very long time ago). The British cast used to call it The Glums then.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
01/12/13 01:59:31PM
261 posts

This is the best review of the Les Miserables (movie version) I've seen yet:

Went to the movies with my wife. We saw this obscure movie I had never heard of, some French foreign film. They must have been giving away tickets because the lines were out the door, Anyway, the movie starts and Wolverine is singing his guts out. Then Catwoman starts crying and singing, and it's all very moving. The only problem was, the girl next to me, who had apparently read the book or something, starts singing along, It was very distracting, So Wolverine is on the run from the Gladiator because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but now she wants Wolverine to care for her. Time skip. A bunch of kids get shot, and in the end everyone dies. Four stars. Sam Richardson

updated by @harold-powell: 11/11/15 10:38:43PM