Ceres Waving Good Bye until next Spring

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
12/26/12 03:03:36PM
261 posts

Mobile Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III (Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2)

I didn't use the zoom feature which is a digital zoom only. I took the picture at maximum resolution then used Photoshop to select the targeted areas then reduced all 3 images down to to the same width of 650 pixels.

Aurora, the goddess of dawn, is my favorite Romandeity. She greets me most mornings from my office or living room which both have large double windows facing East.

Two days ago my wife snapped this photo of Aurora from our front door. The only woman I know who can rival Aurora's beauty at that early hour is the one who took the photo!

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
12/25/12 05:16:31AM
568 posts

She was big in the pantheon but she never got an episode named after her in 'Xena:Warrior Princess' What camera did you use to take these Harold? It has a great zoom capacity!!

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
12/21/12 05:53:00PM
261 posts

High atop the Missouri Capitol Building in Jefferson City is the Roman goddess Ceres. Her arm is outstretched as if she is waving goodbye. Her Greek name is Demeter and she is known as the goddess of agriculture. Her name is where we get the word "cereal."

She had a daughter by Zeus named Persephone. Persephone was blessed (or cursed depending on your point of view) with breath-taking beauty! So great was her beauty that she was the desire of all men who beheld her. One day while gathering wild-flowers, the earth beneath her opened up and Hades, Zeus's brother, rose up out of the chasm and dragged her to the Underworld where he raped and held her against her will.

Ceres was so distraught that darkness and famine fell across the land because it was at her hand that all vegetation including agricultural products sprang forth. Zeus, seeing that Ceres' grief could lead to the the extinction of all mortals on Earth, interceded with his brother Hades and arranged for Persephone's release. Hades, however, did not relinquish his captive "bride" without conditions. At his insistence, Zeus and Ceres promised that once each year Persephone would be returned to him in the Underground and that she would remain there with him for a duration of three months.

So, each year, per that agreement Ceres, waves goodbye to her most beloved and beautiful daughter on the first day of Winter. Her sorrow for Persephone is evident as all plant life wilts and lies dormant over the next three months while she grieves her daughter's absence. But, come Spring, when Persephone is released once again, Ceres' tears become life giving rains and all the Earth turns green and once again the wild flowers grow. We will miss you Persephone.

updated by @harold-powell: 11/11/15 10:38:41PM