Welsh Coast Magazine

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
10/01/12 03:46:38PM
261 posts

Fflur Davydd, a Carmarthen girl, author and singer, is always saying the West is Best!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/01/12 02:15:28PM
302 posts

I've now started my subscription to Welsh Coast and Country & Border Life - the first set of magazines arrived today and have been really enjoyable. Two interesting features in the latter magazine are about Alison Bradley's art ( www.alisonsgallery.co.uk ) and about Llanvalley Natural Products ( www.llanvalley.co.uk ). Alison works in oils and charcoal and does landscapes and animal paintings; her work is also available as greetings cards.

The Llanvalley products are based on goat's milk (which I use daily in my tea). Carol Allen moved to her current home 5 years ago and took on some goats to keep down the weeds. She was getting so much milk from the goats that someone suggested she started making soap from it. The milk is very soothing to the skin and, coupled with different essential oils and herbs, has had a marvellously healing effect on a number of people's skins. People with dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema have found themselves either cured or greatly helped by Carol's products which have no chemicals or preservatives in them.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
07/25/12 05:01:34PM
302 posts

I'm planning on e-mailing the company about having a subscribable online edition. Although I don't like reading books on a screen, I don't mind reading newspapers and magazines like that. It would give them a much broader readership base too.

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/25/12 03:24:48AM
568 posts

Nope ....its just the one. Although if you go to the Border Publishing page on Yudu you will find a number of their other publications that can be read online:- http://free.yudu.com/library/3291/Border-Publishing

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
07/25/12 01:03:24AM
302 posts

I've just tried looking at their website (welshcoast.org.uk) but my PC didn't accept the web address. It comes under www.borderpublishing.com for people who want subscriptions but, as I said, there's no mention of overseas availability which I think very shortsighted. They could do an online version for a reasonable sum which would promote Wales overseas. It may be a small, family-run firm but that doesn't mean they can't embrace technology.

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/25/12 12:45:29AM
568 posts

hmmmm...didn't take the iframe in the body of the post either BUT it did take the 'open in new window link' If you click on it you can read the Summer 2009 edition in your browser.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
07/25/12 12:38:19AM
302 posts

I hadn't realised you can read the back editions - that's excellent. Please do add whatever you wish. For people in the UK, there's a special deal on at the moment - if you take out a standing-order subscription for Country and Border Life, you get Welsh Coast free. This costs 19.99 for a year. Unfortunately, they don't publish prices for overseas subscriptions but if you can see the magazine online, it isn't really necessary.

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/25/12 12:14:31AM
568 posts

Diolch for posting Gaynor. Couldn't resist looking it up - http://www.oystercatcheranglesey.co.uk/index.shtml

Looks like a great place to eat and pass the time of day. Those sand dunes look inviting.

It seems that you can read back editions of the Welsh Coast magazine online here:- http://free.yudu.com/item/details/69965/Welsh-Coast-Magazine

In fact it says you can embed them. If its ok with you I'll add an iframe embed to the above post. Cant do it in comments :(

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
07/25/12 12:08:25AM
302 posts

Yesterday I bought the July edition of Welsh Coast which has a very interesting feature on The Oyster Catcher in Rhosneigr, Anglesey. This restaurant has been set up by John Timpson, Chairman of Timpson shoe repair and key-making stores. Mr Timpson and his wife, Ann, have, over 30 years, fostered 90 children and adopted 2 as well as having 3 of their own; helping disadvantaged young people is a part of their lives. Having transformed The White Eagle at Rhoscolyn into a successful business, they were approached by people who were concerned about The Maelog Lake Hotel. Their eldest son had visited Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Restaurant in Cornwall and suggested that the Timpsons might use this as an inspiration. 16 young people from Anglesey were chosen to train at the new Chefs' Academy at Coleg Menai and a year later 9 of them graduated and have been taken on at The Oyster Catcher, a new building, on the site of the hotel, created by Huf Haus of Germany to be as eco-friendly as possible. The tables and chairs were hand made by inmates of HM Prison Frankland.

In addition to this article, there's a great deal of information in the magazine about places to stay all around the coast of Wales, both catered and self-catering, as well as suggestions about what to see and do. The best part is about ice cream.

Also, if you want to buy a house in the Tenby area which has a striking water feature, an outdoor hot tub and computerised controls, this is the magazine for you!

To read the Summer 2009 edition click the link below:-

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 11/11/15 10:38:18PM