@shannon-westover
04/13/09 06:28:17AM
10 posts
maybe ill look at it later
Neil Hughes
@neil-hughes
10/09/08 05:39:25PM
37 posts
Excellent website.Last year myself and three colleagues were invited by Kathryn Gibson to see the Llys and obviously jumped at the chance.I found her very knowledgeable and dedicated to her project.She was also a little disgruntled at the lack of interest being shown by certain public bodies,in particular,CADW( Celebrate All Defeats Welsh ).I hope that things have changed because I know she has a lot of her own money tied up in an enterprise that should be recieving public money.As for the Archbishops letters I believe that they add credence to the conspiracy/assassination theories surrounding Llywelyn's death.
Stifyn
@stifyn
10/09/08 03:39:33PM
3 posts
For those of you are that are interested in the history of Wales, there is a website which may be of interest to you for which I have provided a link at the bottom of this post.Welsh history was not taught in my schooldays and I think I am correct in stating that this is pretty much the case today. History in Welsh schools is taught from a British perspective and the reasons for this are obvious in that the curriculum is meant to make pupils feel British as opposed to Welsh.The history that I know of my country therefore has been self taught and in various books that I have read over the years I have been aware of a series of letters written in November 1282 as a result of peace negotiations augmented by the Archbishop of Canterbury with Llywelyn the Second .It seems that the treaty negotiations were at first against the wishes of Edward the First of England but a truce was negotiated and the Archbishop travelled to Snowdonia and spent 3 days at Llywelyn`s royal residence at Garth Celyn. I had previously only ever seen brief extracts of these important letters which at least one author of the books I have read described as the Welsh equivalent of the Scottish Declaration of ArbroathHaving recently read the full letters, they give an interesting insight into the Welsh state of mind during the conflict at that particular period and also the intent of the English in destroying Welsh independence.One thing that comes across from the letters of both Llywelyn and his Council is the reference to the English having broken treaties and truces in the past and their reluctance therefore to trust future English treaties. One can understand their mistrust by virtue of the fact that whilst the Archbishop of Canterbury was negotiating a peace at Garth Celyn, the English broke the truce and attempted a crossing of the Menai Straits on November 6th 1282.An account of what happened is provided below :Early in the morning of 6th November, with the truce still in place, and without the authority of Longshanks, Luc de Tany led his men across the bridge of boats.The Welsh army watching and waiting on the hillside above Moel y Don, waited for the right moment then swooped down, forcing the invaders back onto the bridge. The tide had turned; in the confusion of men and horses trying to retreat, the bridge tilted. Luc de Tany, sixteen knights and their squires, Godard, the bridge warden and 300 infantry all drowned.It was an overwhelming victory for the Welsh army.The terms that were offered were rejected by both Llywelyn and his Council and the letters are well worth reading to see what exactly the terms were and also the defiant and bold response of the Welsh.To read the letters in full then go to the link below.Apologies if this matter has already been brought up in a previous post and that members are already aware of same. http://www.llywelyn.co.uk/6.html
updated by @stifyn: 11/11/15 10:37:01PM