North South Divide?

Gareth Williams3
@gareth-williams3
09/24/09 02:42:53AM
21 posts
Senedd ..................... Was I asleep driving through Machynlleth?I'm sure the Senedd is still closed for holidays, awaiting the return of the Prince!
Neil Hughes
@neil-hughes
10/16/08 12:07:20AM
37 posts
Da iawn Hugh, couldn't agree more.Seperate the gogs from the hwntw(haven't heard that one either) and job done.The idea of a united Wales has terrified them ever since they stole our country.There is little Cymreig spoken where I live near the border and most people speak with a semi-scouse accent but we are still Welsh and over 700 years of occupation has not changed who we are.At the end of the day when I go to watch my country play football or rugby I care not where the man standing next to me is from because he is from my country.I would just like to say well done to our young footballers for running the other England team(Germany) so close tonight.Nos da
Seirian Celyn Gwenllian Tomos
@seirian-celyn-gwenllian-tomos
10/04/08 10:28:18PM
17 posts
AMs dont have to travel the A470 do they? they have the pleasure of expenses for the flight from the bay to valley, or at the very least they take the strain in 1st class carriages or behind a chauffeur. God forbid they try the torture that ensues when following a lorry, caravan or nervous driver through the likes of Rhyader, Carno, Cemmaes Rd etc.and as for the mountains!! Now i am not saying the views arent awesome...they are awe inspiring...but look for more than a second and you wind up being remembered by a bunch of flowers on a roadside. We need a proper dual carriageway as a minimum, not more passing places and the odd bypass. Funny how this thread is becoming a quest for more road links and not what I started it on which was the north south divide. Maybe its because the lack of road is the biggest divide of all?
Neil Hughes
@neil-hughes
10/03/08 10:25:59PM
37 posts
Couldn't agree more.The rail links across the 'great divide' are abysmal and the newer roads,M4,A55 etc.were built for the convenience of people coming into Wales from Lloegr and not for the Welsh to move freely around their own country.Ask the Senedd when they are going to build a motorway between Bangor and Cardiff-deafening silence.When business wanted a direct link between Ireland and England hey presto the A55.Cymru Rhydd
10/03/08 09:54:44PM
17 posts
In the main I agree. Its seems to suit the Senedd that we stay to some extent isolated from each other, and its for sure that they are makng no concerted attempts to improve roads links. Air and rail are fine but far too expensive to allow welsh people from both ends of this nation to get together regularly. I think a lot of peple are under the impression that we are somehow different, but scratch the surface and its Wales we all rally for. Only staying united in the face of British Unionists will we hold the line towards independance.Fe Godwn Ni Eto!
Neil Hughes
@neil-hughes
10/03/08 08:41:02PM
37 posts
I think the division of our country was an act of political expediency.The old divide and conquer trick.I believe it was a deliberate policy not to have decent road and rail links between north and south.It's incredible in this day and age a journey from say Wrexham to Cardiff which should take 2 to 2.5 hours will take double that if you wish to stay inside Wales.At school when we were taught to write letters we were always shown to put our address as Holywell,N,Wales and no doubt it would be Swansea S,Wales.Have you ever heard of anyone putting their address as say Newcastle N.England?As far as most Welsh people are concerned Wales is Wales be it south mid or north so perhaps it didn't work after all.If there is a divide it's political rather than social or cultural or am I being paranoid and seeing conspiricies where they don't exist?
10/03/08 01:04:57PM
17 posts
Hi,I have the questionable pleasure of driving the A470 on a very regular basis to get to North Wales. I think my southern accent stands out a little but not very much, and although i know and speak some welsh i have never had the much talked about experience of welsh first language speakers totally blanking me for not being fluent. i too love north wales and hope that one day i may move there, and dont foresee the fact that im from the south as a bar to anything.
Emyr
@emyr
10/03/08 11:44:15AM
0 posts
hi i am a hwntw,as the n walians call us.Love the word(hwntw)Cycling back from Caernarfon to s wales for charity called in a pub out side Caernarfon and told i spoke welsh like a Pakistani,further on the jorney in trawsfynydd called a Cymro plastic both i suspect for my broad south walian accent.I love N Wales and its people and have many friends there,i just laughed at the experience.Cymru am Byth
10/03/08 08:46:28AM
17 posts
I keep reading and hearing about the so called divide between North and South Wales, but as a resident of the South and a regular visitor to the North I have seen no signs of it. I wonder if anybody on this site has had experience of the so called divide, and in what way?
updated by @seirian-celyn-gwenllian-tomos: 12/04/15 03:57:45PM