Gareth Williams
@gareth-williams
08/13/08 11:05:21PM
77 posts
My last post reignited an age old quandry.What am I?I insist on BritWelsh on all forms of identity, because Im more British than the English as far as Im concerned, my people were here first.But I tend to be parochial in the extreme, Im 'Angleswegian', which apparently is the correct English language term for us Mon islanders (and can anyone help me with how to put the 'to bach' on Mon on the computer?) but even worse than that, there s two islands, Mon Mawr and Mon Bach, Malltraeth Marsh (Gors Tryga) before it was drained and the River Cefni canalised in the18th century, cut the island tidally from Malltraeth point to Pentraeth. The Cefni then was the demarcation line between 'The Glorious Republic of West Anglesey'!! and Mon Bach.In Llangefni, the mooring rings for fishing boats were still there until 1950s where the 'farchnad' was, now Llangefni is 5miles from a tidal influence. The Cefni flows through and Lo-Cost was on the Mon Bach side of the town, we used to shop in Spar as kids so as not to cross that line to the culturally inferior Mon Bach! Haha,But as I say to soldiers who join my regiment 'I dont care what colour you are, green , pink, black, orange, purple, dont care what religion you are, or whether you like boys or girls, tea or coffee, where you come from, it doesnt matter, as far as Im concerned you are now a Royal Welch Fusilier which in my book makes you superior to anything else that draws breath on this planet'Works a treat for the old pride and morale!! And gets a chuckle
updated by @gareth-williams: 12/04/15 03:57:45PM