Gwyn Thomas Selected Short Stories ISBN 0 907476 30 9

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
08/20/08 07:18:14AM
568 posts
Just got through reading "Dark Philosophers". See short review HERE .
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/23/08 04:33:47PM
568 posts
Diolch mate...In an effort to encourage people to take a look at Gwyn's work have made "The Dark Philosophers" our Book of the Month.....every little helps I guess. You can pick it up for as little as $1.04 on Amazon.
Ian Price
@ian-price
07/23/08 04:35:32AM
24 posts
I just sent you another story but iy seems to have gone off the page. I'll try it in photos instead.Ian
Ian Price
@ian-price
07/23/08 04:33:39AM
24 posts

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/23/08 04:29:49AM
568 posts
Some Gwyn Thomas links:- Gwyn on Wikipedia Gwyn Thomas quotes on ThimkExist Complete bibliography on FantasticFiction Library of Wales review of "The Dark Philosphers" (with a link to the full text of the foreword)If anyone knows of any other useful online Gwyn Thomas resources please post in this thread...diolch.
Ian Price
@ian-price
07/22/08 08:24:07AM
24 posts
I've read a lot of Thomas's works but a great deal of them are out of print or have never been published.His turns of phrase are hilarious . Of the many I remember one short extract went like this -Her husband had become seriously affected by consumption and so the doctor was called. He suggested a high protein diet of Champagne and Oysters. Now this family were a full stop in poverty but she did the best she could . She fed him cockles and pop for a month.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/22/08 05:26:03AM
568 posts
Thanks for sharing this. I remember reading "All Things Betray Thee" many years ago but I dont think I ever read the short stories. I will remedy that defect shortly. I'll never forget one phrase from that book. Gwyn was describing one particularly unsavoury character and he said of him "....and the contents of his mind would make a pig sniff". That phrase has stuck in my mind ever since. he was a powerful writer and he deserves to beb better known.
Ian Price
@ian-price
07/21/08 11:52:24AM
24 posts
Anyone ever read this author who came from Clydach Vale? His works are hilarious and sad by turn.I've attached a small example of his work called The Joyful. When I read it first I almost keeled over in fits of laughter; Much of his output struck many chords with anyone who has suffered adversity but finds humour in it.
updated by @ian-price: 11/11/15 10:36:51PM