Madog and the Welsh Indians

Charles William Evans-Gunther
@charles-william-evans-gunther
07/09/13 09:38:16PM
2 posts

Hi Gaabi, I am amazed that anyone is still taking the Madog story seriously. I thought that after all these years people would have given up the silly belief that America was discovered by a man who never left Britain. Also I am surprised by White Americans believing that there were such thing as Welsh Indians. If America was discovered by anyone it was the Native American peoples and the belief in Welsh Indians was a kind of urban legend. It was always somebody knowing someone who knew someone else who had come across some Native American who they believed spoke Welsh. There is, as far as I am aware, no genuine evidence of Welsh people arriving in the Americas before the 16th century.

gaabi
@gaabi
07/09/13 07:20:43PM
135 posts

Hello, Charles -

There is a Madoc group on AmeriCymru and theres been a lot of discussion on this subject -

http://americymru.net/group/madoc

Gaabi

Charles William Evans-Gunther
@charles-william-evans-gunther
07/09/13 04:18:01PM
2 posts

Hi All,

I am interested to hear what folk in the USA think about the discovery of America by Madog in the 6th century or 12th century. I am also interested to learn what people believe about Welsh Indians. I am asking this from a point of view of somewhat interested in the history of Wales - mainly the Middle Ages.

I would be grateful to hear your comments.

Best wishes,

Charles

updated by @charles-william-evans-gunther: 11/11/15 10:38:57PM