Obama Plans to Take Action Against Patent-Holding Firms or "Trolls"

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
06/06/13 01:47:17PM
261 posts

Yes, I do wish him well. Trial lawyers are bound to oppose reform for obvious reasons. And, should that powerful lobbyperceivethat the President's initiative is a juggernaut, an issue favored by everyone, their fallback position may be to regroup and riddle any proposed legislation with language filled with loopholes favoring them.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
06/06/13 08:38:39AM
302 posts

Good for Obama.

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
06/05/13 04:29:19PM
31 posts

Some say the bee stings: but I say, 'tis the bee's wax; for I did but seal once to a thing, and I was never mine own man since. Yep, gotcha.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
06/05/13 12:29:22PM
261 posts

Now sales of iPhone 4 and iPad 2 could be banned in America due to Apple'sinfringementof another company's patents.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/10100076/iPhone-4-sales-could-be-banned-in-America.html

Another win, win situation for trial lawyers.

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
06/04/13 03:53:19PM
31 posts

Wow - I don't agree with this administration on much, but I got to tip my hat here.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
06/04/13 03:47:07PM
261 posts

See Bloomberg News:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-04/obama-issues-patent-abuse-order-seeking-congress-s-help.html

U.S. Patent Law was created to protect intellectual property and thus incentivize, or reward,innovation. In recent years this form of legal protection has been turned on its head and has begun to be used as a legal tool to bludgeon competition. Like the runaway financial and real estate crises of the past decade, legal departments inside giant corporations comb through existing technology and anything that is even remotely useful but not yet nailed down, or patented--is patented, then repackaged as part of a company's portfolio and net worth. A case in point: Apple's MagnaSafe power cord. For many decades this type of connection was used throughout Asia on almost every electric-powered cooking device like rice cookers, slow-cookers, electric tea kettles, etc. It was considered a "no-brainer" by Asian consumers and manufacturers. A pot of boiling water is best powered by a cord attached magnetically so that if bumped, the cord simply detaches rather than dragging a pot of scalding water off into someone's lap. Trouble is: The idea was considered so practical and "common sense" in Asia, in much the same vein as keeping a broom "bristle-side-down" when using it, that no one ever thought to patent it. Enter Apple which spends more on legal fees, legal staff and patenting than it spends on Research and Development . So when the giant noticed the magnetic power cord idea in wide-spread use in Asia, and that no one had ever patented the idea, they in effect said, "Wow, let's patent that idea and charge some of our competitors to use it while forbidding others."

All these practices are legal. I honestly believe Apple is a law abiding company. But it's patent law itself that needs to be changed. Good luck to the President in his endeavors on this score. I believe Apple, Google and all companies would be better off spending money on research and development rather than paying lawyers to hamper and "muck-up" the works for competitors.

updated by @harold-powell: 11/11/15 10:38:54PM