Hiking Wales

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
03/05/13 03:43:29PM
302 posts

Having looked up Alan Richards's new book "Great Walks in Carmarthenshire 2", I was directed to the Pontarddulais Walking Club's website www.pontarddulaiswalkingclub.com which has some lovely photos and (about halfway down the home page) a list of useful links to walks in different parts of Wales, eg: the Glyndwr Way, as well the Heart of Wales railway line and other things. It also tells you how to contact Alan Richards if you want to buy the book. A useful site.

Jeffrey Morgan
@jeffrey-morgan
03/05/13 01:07:37AM
11 posts
That sounds like a good idea, Mr. Powell. However, I was planning on meeting a friend of mine in London. He's a sergeant in the Derbyshire Constabulary. Ts about a 2 hour drive down to London for him. But if that doesn't work out, I will certainly take your advice.
Harold Powell
@harold-powell
03/04/13 10:57:02PM
261 posts

Jeffrey, from where I live (in Missouri) it's only a $100.00 more to fly directly into Cardiff via Amsterdam. London, of course, is a great destination in itself.

Jeffrey Morgan
@jeffrey-morgan
03/04/13 07:52:03PM
11 posts
Thanks for the information, Ceri. It's funny you posted something about the Brecon Beacons. I have a fairly recent issue of Backpacking Magazine which highlights the trails in the park. That is what led me to decide to get lost for a while.
Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
03/04/13 07:02:31PM
568 posts

You should definitely consider hiking Fan Brycheiniog....probably from the Swansea Valley side. You could include a visit to the Dan Yr Ogof showcaves in your itinerary:-

http://www.summitpost.org/the-black-mountain-west-brecon-beacons/235694

http://www.showcaves.co.uk/index.html

I will try and get on later with some more ideas. I used to do a lot of hiking/hill walking when I lived in wales.

Jeffrey Morgan
@jeffrey-morgan
03/04/13 05:40:58PM
11 posts
Ok, I've decided I need a break from my job and need to get away for a few days. I'm going to fly to London and find my way over to Wales (train/hired car?) What I need help with is where are the best places to go for some day hikes with great views and be able to possibly stay in an inexpensive B&B for the night in a village or town. I've been to north Wales in 2006 in Llandudno, Conwy and Caernarvon. I don't mind going back to that area but I'd really like to see the countryside.Can anyone offer any suggestions or point me in the right direction?Thanks,Jeff Morgan
updated by @jeffrey-morgan: 11/11/15 10:38:47PM