@iain-sewell
01/09/13 08:25:03PM
17 posts

ooh .. so tempted - thanks for posting

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
01/09/13 01:19:40PM
261 posts

The link below is to an excellent site and a wonderful idea! Old houses and historical places speak to us. There is a "feeling" we get when we're in the presence of history. Perhaps the air is more rarefied here-- on my side of the pond--where, even our oldest cities. are relatively young by Welsh standards. This shallow rootedness is exaggerated even further, I think, by an attitude once held by our emigrant forebears who tended to look upon " new " as a virtue in and of itself. Not too long ago it was fashionable to demolish "old," once beautiful, ornate architecture and replace it with something "new" even if the replacement was but a shadow of it's former self. I remember from my childhood hearing " old timers " say, "Tear it down! It's old--it reminds me of the Old Country!" Frequently beautiful structures were razed to the ground only to be replaced by cheap, styrofoamand tin charactertures of their former selves. Thankfully, that trend has finally, at last, been reversed and restoration has become the new "new."

Your personal history probably lies hidden inside dusty old boxes under your bed. Pull out a photo, go to the location where it was taken (sorry, techies, Kodak did not embed GPS coordinates into their negatives or prints back then) and take a picture of the photo again!

Who knows? You might find yourself standing next to your grandfather like the man in the photo below. History waits to repeat itself!

Here's the website: http://dearphotograph.com/

updated by @harold-powell: 11/11/15 10:38:43PM