The Anglesey Copper Kingdom Trail

Alwyn Griffith
@alwyn-griffith
12/13/12 11:23:11PM
6 posts

syd mae

Here is an example of the Welsh, Anglesey Druids head being used with no connection to Wales.

It seems that it was an example of utilising how much the token from Wales was leading coinage future.

I have been informed to methat in the USAthe term Conder rather than token should be used

Alwyn Griffith
@alwyn-griffith
12/10/12 08:53:10AM
6 posts

Hi Sue

Nice to hear from you again. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks / Diolch.

Alwyn

Sue Miller
@sue-miller
12/10/12 02:18:45AM
1 posts
Hi Al

A friend of mine informed me that you had joined Americymru, so I did the same. It seems a long time ago since you showed us the lovely sights of North Wales as part of your tours. I must admit I did not take much attention to the Anglesey coin that you showed us (more engrossed with the scenery) but it seems that your hunch was right, I remember you saying how important this coin was, not just a token to pay the workers as it stated in the museum that we visited.

From the information on your website it seems that you were right. I know a few people who are interested in coins so I will ask them if they have any info to share.

Regards from Sue

California

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
12/08/12 12:01:15PM
44 posts

Interesting post. Parys Mountain and the old copper mine there feature heavily in The Stories of Rhys from book 2 onwards. In some ways it is the key to the story. When Rhys finally goes there in book six the crux of the story unfolds, but then this just leads to another phase of the complex story and sends Rhys to The Land of Ice. If you can solve the rhyme of the Legend of the Ice Dragon you will know what is about to happen in the final book.

Alwyn Griffith
@alwyn-griffith
12/07/12 11:44:33AM
6 posts

Another forgotten first for Wales

The Worlds First Modern Coin. The Anglesey penny.

The first copper tokens to be widely circulated in the worldwere the Anglesey Druids pennymade by Thomas Williams for his Parys Mine, Amlwch, Anglesey.

For information on this facinating story, please visit the Copper Kingdom

These coins were widely accepted and the druid's head then started appearing on coins outside Wales such as Ireland, Cornwall and Walsall in England.

Many of the coins were taken over to the USA and Canada and it is a fact that many are still there.

I am looking for information as follows.

Does anybody know if the coins became part of the token system used in the USA in the early 19th century?

Did the Druid head appear on any tokens in the USA or Canada?

Any information at all on the coins.

Hwyl o Gymru

updated by @alwyn-griffith: 11/11/15 10:38:31PM