Television programmes

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/03/12 08:29:14PM
302 posts

Enjoyed The Story of Wales again tonight. I know Pen-y-Bryn manor from way back in the 70s when some friends of the family lived there and my parents and I stayed there for a night or two. I could kick myself for not having any pictures of it though and all I can really remember is having dinner in the big entrance hall which they used as their dining room. I was hoping that we'd see more of the inside of it but of course it wouldn't have been relevant to what Huw was telling us.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/03/12 03:41:52PM
302 posts

Ooer, probably not! I wouldn't mind the cave at Paviland because you can see out but I can't bear being anywhere where I can't see outside. I've just been to the Bronze exhibition at the Royal Academy and I wondered if any of the ancient artefacts there were made with copper and tin from our homeland. There were items up to 4000 years old there.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/03/12 09:02:48AM
44 posts

You won't be going into Rhys' cave on The Great Orme either then

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/03/12 08:58:37AM
302 posts

There's no way I could go into the mines - I have a horror of caves.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/03/12 08:56:28AM
44 posts

I enjoyed it too Gaynor and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and tonights episode. You wouldn't believe how cold and dam the copper mine is. It's a great tour though and on certain days they actually smelt some malachite and turn it into copper.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/02/12 09:35:54PM
302 posts

I enjoyed The Story of Wales this evening, especially the CGI reconstructions, some of which showed just how big Isca was. The new excavations there should prove very interesting. The copper mines beneath The Great Orme were also very interesting. The hardback book is currently available from the BBC shop www.bbcshop.com at 11.20 (cheaper than Amazon) instead of 20.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/02/12 09:15:55AM
44 posts
Seems out of stock everywhere at the moment, and only available at extortionate prices on auction sites. You'll just have to wait until it comes back in to stock at HMV. Worth the wait though.
Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/01/12 11:28:32AM
302 posts

As it's out of stock on HMV currently, I'll have a look in Siop y Pentan next time I'm in Carmarthen.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/01/12 11:22:12AM
44 posts

Hi Swansea Jack, (sounds like a pirate).

You are right. Max Vivaldi is the lead character played by Griff Rhys Jones, and Russell T. Davis of Dr Who fame wrote it with Griff.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/01/12 11:18:49AM
44 posts

Oh perfect. You can get it for 11 delivered free. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's hilarious. Funily enough I've just emailed one of the actresses in it about the books and to see if she would agree to a voice part in any film version of the books.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/01/12 11:11:48AM
302 posts

I'm in London, Christopher. I'll check out the HMV site.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/01/12 10:49:20AM
44 posts

Hi Gaynor, Amazon is not the best place. Very expensive on there. Try a general search and find another site. It's 11 ($18) on the link I've posted. Can you buy off HMV in America?

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/01/12 10:40:37AM
302 posts

I looked up Mine all Mine on Amazon and the DVDs are hideously expensive (60). Strangely I have no memory of it whatever although in one of the reviews someone mentions a rival sitcom called Blackpool which I do recall (I didn't actually watch it). It seems odd that I don't remember something with Griff Rhys Jones as I usually watch anything that he's in.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
10/01/12 08:15:58AM
44 posts

Thanks Harold. Well I really hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you will, and it won't be long before you are playing dragon pebbles with her.

So. Have any of you seen Mine all Mine? here is a link ............

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=&pGroupID=dvd&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=Mine+all+mine&primaryID=dvd&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
10/01/12 01:16:45AM
261 posts

That's grand! I purchased a copy of your book for my Kindle. My granddaughter is 8 years old and I look forward to reading it with her!

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
09/30/12 11:33:53PM
44 posts

Yes this looks like the same one Harold.I've just taken a look at a preview on the BBC website. Interestingly it mentions the Great Orme at Llandudno and particulary the copper mine there. Both are featured in the first book of The Stories of Rhys and continue to be so throughout the books. I'm guessing too that Snowdonia will feature as well and the slate mines at Llanberis. It's almost like it'sa promo for my book series! As I've already mentioned on here the books are based on real locations and it's what holds the whole series together. That's why it took seven books to tell the entire epic stories of Rhys.

Looking forward to watching it.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
09/30/12 10:16:28PM
261 posts

Part Six:

These YouTube videos might be blocked in Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. I don't know--but that's often the case.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
09/30/12 10:13:08PM
261 posts

Part Five:

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
09/30/12 10:11:22PM
261 posts

Part Four:

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
09/30/12 10:10:03PM
261 posts

Part Three:

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
09/30/12 10:07:55PM
261 posts

Part Two:

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
09/30/12 10:00:43PM
261 posts

You can watch it here in America on YouTube. If it's the same documentary (I'm not sure) it is in 6 parts. I can watch it on my HDTV through my Roku set top box:

Part One:

Janet Louise Mancini
@janet-louise-mancini
09/30/12 08:04:19PM
14 posts

Chris, would love to see this program. I will have to see if it is on ebay, or our local PBS station. Do you know what year it was made? Thank you so much.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
09/30/12 06:44:41PM
44 posts

Next Tuesday (2nd October) on BBC2 there is a six part series starting called The Story of Wales whichh explores the country's history. It will be available on BBC iplayer online.

The other thing I wanted to mention was a series called Mine all Mine. This was a comedy drama set in Swansea and first shown in 2004. Some of you may already know about it but if not it's available on DVD and I recommend it. A great story and very funny. It stars Griff Rhys Jones.

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
09/30/12 03:43:48PM
44 posts

Can you get BBC TV in America? Can you watch BBC online via iplayer?

Christopher R. Williams
@christopher-r-williams
09/30/12 02:35:27PM
44 posts

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if you can get BBC TV out there? Can you watch it online or view programmes on BBC iplayer? The reason I ask is because there is an excellent series of programmes about Wales coming up.

Chris Williams

updated by @christopher-r-williams: 11/11/15 10:38:29PM