The latest Cambria Magazine

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
06/13/12 04:15:10PM
302 posts

Good, Harold. They want plenty of subscribers! It's a good quality magazine.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
06/13/12 01:55:36PM
261 posts

I just purchased the download version. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
06/07/12 09:10:19AM
302 posts

It's under 20 per annum for the 6 issues. I'm not sure what they charge for overseas. You can read back issues on their website although I'm not sure how far back they go. You could always contact them about your article.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
06/06/12 01:58:29PM
302 posts

As always the new edition of Cambria Magazine has a number of interesting articles on a variety of subjects. The ones that have immediately caught my eye and to which I shall return are "The Big Independence Question" by Owen Donovan who blogs under the name Oggy Bloggy Ogwr (naturally!); "Glorious Retreat" by Caroline Juler on the restoration of Roch Castle which was once the home of Lucy Walter, mistress to Charles II and mother of the (later beheaded) Duke of Monmouth, not to mention 8 x great grandmother to Diana, Princess of Wales; "Winds of Change" by Brian Davies on the beauties of Pumlumon; Lawrence Kelly's exploration of The Vale of Glamorgan; Peter N Williams on the history of Welsh coal. Patrick Thomas (my parents' vicar) writes about his visits to Armenia, similarities between Armenian and Welsh (both Indo-European languages) and the resilience of the Armenian people in maintaining their identity; all of this reminded me of when I first moved to London and lodged, along with my oldest friend, with a French-Armenian lady - I wish now that I had talked to her about Armenia and found out more about the country.

In addition to these riches, there's an article by Rita Tate about Ifor Thomas, the photographer; also an appreciation of the Swansea artist Patricia Briggs by Adam Salkeld and a fond obituary of Philip Madoc by Meic Stephens.

A book review which caught my eye was for "The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals" by Wendy Jones, which sounds delightful.

Finally, there's an article by Denley Owen, who is publishing "Powell Maesgwynne" via Cymdeithas Hunafiaethau Sir Gaerfyrddin, on WRH Powell, a radical Liberal MP of the 19th century. The heir to the Maesgwynne estate near Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, he was called home from Christ Church, Oxford, in 1840 to help deal with the Rebecca uprising. Powell, however, sided with the oppressed and helped stop the replacement of the turnpike gates at Efailwen and Maesgwynne and the erection of new ones between Llanboidy and Whitland. Later he built a school at Llanboidy where 230 pupils were educated at his own expense and advocated ending the hiring-fairs. He was a really remarkable man, judging by this article.

See more about the magazine at www.cambriamagazine.com

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 11/11/15 10:38:17PM