What are you reading?

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
11/18/11 03:25:24AM
568 posts

Read the Bill Bryson a few years ago. I was impressed by his lack of determination having broken down in the Rhinogs back in 1996 whilst attempting to walk the Cambrian Way. Long distance walks are fine but its so much easier to reach your destination if you miss out the bit in the middle

There was some talk of a film at one time I believe.

Mark Powell
@mark-powell
11/18/11 01:59:06AM
3 posts

Hi Gaabi. I just read, back to back, "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff and "Tweak" by David's son, Nic Sheff. Both books are about methamphetamine addiction, from the perspectives of father and son. Also, recently, "Gitanjali" by Rabindranath Tagore and "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks. Before that, "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson, and three books by Jon Ronson: "Them", "The Men Who Stare at Goats", and "The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry".

I'm just starting on "Nonviolence: The History of a Dangerous Idea" by Mark Kurlansky with "Noon: A Novel" by Aatish Taseer in queue.

gaabi
@gaabi
11/17/11 05:55:03AM
135 posts

I started this, The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean , after hearing an interview with the author, it sound really interesting.

It's non-fiction, and she researched stories about giant waves, waves 100' or higher, and went looking for them. There were a lot of stories about waves this high and higher, waves even swallowing ships, but scientists said they weren't possible, that physics prevented water from gaining that much mass while in motion (or something like that), until a research vessel in the North Sea recorded two waves over 100'.

Next I really want to get Vultures' Picnic: In Pursuit of Petroleum Pigs, Power Pirates, and High-Finance Carnivores , has anyone read that yet! There was an interview with him on the radio this morning and that sounds really interesting, like something I want to know about.

gaabi
@gaabi
11/16/11 09:15:23PM
135 posts

Books for discussion don't have to have anything to do with Wales, just discussion of BOOKS, generally!Vampire bodice ripper? Herbert Hoover biography? How to hunt leopard seals using live chickens as bait? Tell me about it!

updated by @gaabi: 11/11/15 10:38:02PM