Wales in the movies - a blog

DaveLewis
@dave-lewis2
11/08/19 11:06:06AM
19 posts

I have a Welsh / London film company looking to option my first two novels and possibly then making a film(s) of my crime thriller trilogy, although it's been a year and still no 'yes' from them yet :(

There are films and TV series made in Wales which are really good but there could be so much more.  The WAG is slow to react to this opportunity, the Netflix generation etc. and investment is very poor.  Hinterland is pretty good, although very samey now. Mark Whalberg is making a film in Cardiff at the moment, which is huge. Keeping Faith is alright and there is a TV drama, The Accident, which is excellent, airing at the moment.

Like all areas though, Wales is the poorest region of UK and needs massive investment. It is lacking big time though :(

updated by @dave-lewis2: 11/08/19 11:06:32AM
Nick Stradling
@nick-stradling
12/01/13 10:03:14PM
13 posts

I mention it at the end of the first blog essay (3,500 words!!) and also put a link up to the plane scene when the pilot tells him to land in Cardiff.I was speechless when my missus called me to say that the finale was set in Wales - I actually thought she was winding me up.

I was thiinking about writing another piece for the blog about it. BBC reviewer Mark Kermode was clearly incredulous that the finale was set in Wales - you can hear it in his voice when he reviews it for radio 5 live. Total Film reviewed the moment like this:

"Pitt jets around the ruined earth to try and discover the original root of the plague touching down in South Korean airbases, Israeli cities and, er, Wales"

Er, Wales. 1500 years of history. The oldest living language in Europe. The fuel that powered the industrial revolution, the Welfare state........all to have an 'er' put in front of your name.

The crowd at Cineworld Cardiff started to cheer when the plane landed!

Gregory Ward
@gregory-ward
12/01/13 09:10:53PM
3 posts

Well, considering it's the setting of the whole third act (and where slow zombies are featured for the first time in the film), I would say prominently. It's the most intense sequence in the film and it's in Wales.

I must have missed this on your blog.

Nick Stradling
@nick-stradling
12/01/13 10:36:30AM
13 posts

Yes it was featured Gregory here:

http://wibbleclarkeblog.tumblr.com/post/66899960908/wales-in-hollywood-world-war-z-2013-brad-pitt

Although being pedantic I'd argue that it features "prominently". The world "Wales" is uttered once and the finale of the film is set in a chemical lab not far from Cardiff. Scottish and English actors fill that chem lab and Wales in the only location which does not come with text legend i.e. Airbase, South Korea or Detainee Centre, Israel.

Not that I'm complaining! It's just nice to see a Hollywood scene set in Wales at all.

Gregory Ward
@gregory-ward
11/29/13 11:41:53PM
3 posts

Wales was featured prominently in the movie World War Z starring Brad Pitt this past summer. I was pretty excited about that.

Nick Stradling
@nick-stradling
11/16/13 06:36:03PM
13 posts

I see your point.

When of course talking "Hollywood" we are talking a few major studios I suppose. My particular point of interest at the moment is the potential consumers and propagators of Welsh stories in the US.

Personally I have no problem with formulaic movies and paradigms, it's the content that surely defines the appeal for audiences. A Welsh film could of course get made over here in the UK, but for the purposes that I'm thinking, it would need marketing in the right places with maybe just finding one target human being with contacts who was in a position to promote the idea - if it were a good one. I'm also keen on tales cementing Welsh-American links.

Sorry I'm rambling, I've been writing all bloody day and trying to get the Welsh government to answer my emails and an article published about the Braveheart Effect and the lost Stories of Wales!

Pardon me if this post lacks cohesion,

Nick

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
11/16/13 06:23:33PM
261 posts

Agreed. I remain suspicious that Hollywood wants new material but I am convinced that the consuming public does.

Nick Stradling
@nick-stradling
11/16/13 05:17:52PM
13 posts

Hi Harold,

thanks for reply and input. I actually think the lack of originality is why a film about Wales would go down so well, Hollywood is so desperate for new material, now we even see a crazy post post modern thing where there are successful films made about other successful films.

Just trying to gather opinion for now, wish me luck!

Nick

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
11/16/13 05:06:25PM
261 posts

I hope you're successful. Hollywood these days seems to be all about copying the success of others.It is almost as if they eschew originality. Don't get me wrong. No subject is off limit so long as it can be reduced to 8 sequences. Sequences should be no longer than 11 to 18 minutes. The 8 sequence outline is forced upon almost all narratives and is complicated even further in television scripts which must allow for adverts.

Nick Stradling
@nick-stradling
11/16/13 10:55:18AM
13 posts

Hi All,

I'm a new member to this and at the very beginning of speaking to academics, historians and writers regarding the promotion and idea of Welshness in the U.S.A. and am tryint to gauge interest in the idea of a Hollywood movie that could showcase Wales to the world once and for all.

I've started a blog to which I've already added a couple of articles and essays with a few movie reviews addes so far also. I will be even adding clips of every Welsh reference I can find in American movies - which are frustratingly rare I must say!

Here is the blog:

http://wibbleclarkeblog.tumblr.com

I'd love it if you could take time to read or follow, and maybe just start to consider the idea of how a Welsh movie could be sold in Hollywood. If enough interest in gleaned I hope to make it a more interactive website and get it translated. I noticed on my first glimpse of the forum just a few minutes ago that Ceri has started a thread about a Glyndwr film and I touch a little on this kind of idea in some of my writing.

In my opinion, Wales BADLY needs a movie not just for itself but for the Welsh diaspora out there in the world like you guys who've never had a chance to see your forebears on screen in popular form and there are SO many tales from our past that could be exploited for these purposes.

Peace, love and Hwyl,

Nick

updated by @nick-stradling: 12/11/15 06:35:45AM