My War's End - life with PTSD by T. Braxton 2002

tbraxton
@tbraxton
08/11/16 07:51:40AM
5 posts

War’s End 

Years of war have raged now, my armoured battlements show the ravages of wear.

Time, Fear and Hatred have burned deep in my lines, the furrows of despair.

Though many have been lost, and lay buried in the blood soaked soil,

Deep within this shielded core, the heady blood of life still roils.

I have seen abominations cast on humankind, again by its own hands.

And though here before, I couldn't accept how my actions helped despoil the lands.

As lifes’ glow began to wan again I gazed ‘round and the flames I finally did see through.

I realize once and for all, the many paths I’d chosen thus far, were little more than a ruse.

So with these last thoughts I leave you, for all that have been touched by this wars' despair.

You can take off your armour, stow your sword, and hang your bow upon a corner chair.

We can leave the battlefield with honour, for the drums of war need no longer beat.

Many years are lost to the dust, and to fight on alone now would only enfold us in defeat.

Now we walk together through the twisted wreckage and the smoke slowly clears from the air,

The sights and noise of war may echo, but we will survive through this common bond we share.

Though seasoned in the arts of war, I cry out now, “What of peace, and who has these skills to teach?

And the answer drifted back through the din; “It’s to your Creator, not your sword, that your heart must now reach.”

updated by @tbraxton: 11/24/19 06:16:51PM