By Bob Titley, 2013-05-06
Media Contact : Bob Titley
The Robert Titley Consultancy
(917) 690 8418
Location! Location! Location!
Wales Coast Path Shares Star Billing with Celebs
New York, NY May 6, 2013 - When they walk along the Wales Coast Path, visitors do sometimes walk in the footsteps of the stars, from Halle Berry to Russell Crowe and Harry Potter to James Bond. Officially opened one year ago, on May 5, 2012, the Wales Coast Path - www.walescoastpath.gov.uk - has captured the imagination of the world. The only footpath of its kind on the planet, the Wales Coast Path encircles all three sides of the Welsh Peninsula, along the entire 870 miles of its pristine coastline, encouraging visitors and residents alike to discover the shape of the nation.
And The Wales Coast Path offers a movie tour with a difference
Clash of the Titans (2010) Starring Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes
Some scenes used Newborough Woods, Traeth Penrhos and Llanddwyn Island on Anglesey (currently home to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge).
- Try this great nearby walk: An epic movie deserves an epic walk! Enjoy the 13 mile hike between Llyn Rhos Ddu and Aberffraw.
Half Light (2006) Starring Demi Moore
Wales was cast as a stand-in for Scotland! A grieving author relocates to a Scottish village to move on with her life after the death of her son. Many of the beach and lighthouse scenes were shot on remote Llanddwyn Island and the seaside village scenes were shot at Porth Dinllaen on the Llyn Peninsula.
- Try this great nearby walk : Head to Llanddwyn Island its a beautiful place with a lovely sandy beach and, if the tide is right, you can explore the island itself.
Retreat (2011) Starring Thandie Newton and Cillian Murphy
A couple escape personal tragedy by moving to a remote island retreat. Their attempts to recover are disrupted when a stranger is washed ashore. The cottage scenes were shot at Plas Llandecwyn and the beach scenes were shot at Porth Ysgaden on the Llyn Peninsula.
- Try this great nearby walk: A 4.6 mile walk between Porth Ysgaden and Porth Widlin with great views and interesting wildlife.
The Edge of Love (2008) Starring Matthew Rhys, Keira Knightley and Sienna Miller
Directed by John Maybury, the film is based loosely on real events and the history between Welsh poet Dylan Thomas and lovers Vera Phillips and Caitlin MacNamara. Locations in Lampeter, Tenby and New Quay were used for filming as well as the Gwili Steam Railway.
- Try this great nearby walk : Enjoy the lovely 6.25 mile route between Aberaeron and New Quay its a great adventure.
Die Another Day (2002) Starring Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry
Penbryn Beach in Ceredigion was left neither shaken nor stirred when it played host to James Bond. It saw double the action: it was the backdrop to a love-scene between 007 and Jinx and was also used for the final scenes.
- Try this great nearby walk: Head up the coast from the seaside village of Aberporth towards Penbryn Beach remember to stop and keep an eye out for dolphins on this stretch.
Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) Starring Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth
Filmed at Marloes Sands, one of the most beautiful beaches in Wales, the stunning coastline provided the backdrop to the epic battle scenes.
- Try this great nearby walk : This magnificent beach is best revealed on a 2-3 mile walk around from nearby Martins Haven (though there is National Trust parking closer to the beach). This section is great for spotting seals.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 and 2 (2010/2011) Starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Helena Bonham Carter
Freshwater Wests sand dunes shall forever be the resting place of the house-elf Dobby. A shell house was constructed on the beach as one of the sets for the film.
- Try this great nearby walk : Head to Freshwater West and enjoy a stroll on golden sands.
Robin Hood (2010) Starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett
The stunning beach of Freshwater West can be spotted in this Ridley Scott-epic, which sees the beach become a battle field as Robin Hood fights to repel the French invaders.
- Try this great nearby walk : At just less than ten miles, try a heroic walk from West Angle Bay round to Freshwater West. The scenery is spectacular.
This is just a sampling of the many opportunities along the Wales Coast Path to take in fresh air, enjoy some gentle exercise, explore nature and encounter wildlife. For additional info on everything that Wales has to offer visitors americas.visitwales.co m
- The Wales Coast Path runs from the Welsh border in north Wales to Chepstow in the south.
- Creation of the Path was a key Welsh Government commitment. The aim was and is to bring economic benefit to coastal areas and encourage active lifestyles.
- The Path has something to offer everyone - from those looking for a short stroll to those undertaking the whole route in one trip, and it provides access to numerous leisure activities.
- The Path will be further improved, in terms of alignment, infrastructure and information.
- The project is coordinated by Natural Resources Wales and delivered on the ground by the local authorities through which it passes. Funding is coming from the European Union (approx 4 million in total), Welsh Government (approx 2 million per year) and the local authorities.
By Bob Titley, 2012-11-12
Visit Wales Announces The Richard Burton Diaries Sweepstakes
And The Opening of The Richard Burton Trail in Wales
New York, New York November 9, 2012 Oscar-nominated actor Richard Burton would have been 87 on November 10 th . This passionate native of Wales returns to the spotlight on the eve of his birthday with the first complete collection of his diaries ever published ( www.yalebooks.com ). To celebrate, Visit Wales has launched The Richard Burton Diaries Sweepstakes (enter at www.visitwales.com/usa ), giving one lucky winner and a guest an exclusive glimpse into the places, the passion and the people that shaped the iconic actor.
The five- night, six-day prize trip will include a chance to meet the books editor, Chris Williams and view Burtons original diaries at Swansea University. The winner will also tour the newly opened Richard Burton Trail in Wales ( www.visitnpt.co.uk/richardburton ), visit his home village Pontrhydyfen, and travel to the seaside town of Tenby where Burton and Taylor vacationed together.
Its hard to imagine the world-acclaimed actor as a family man fretting about his daughters wounded heart, as a thoughtful and voracious reader of all manner of subjects, and as an insecure man with self-esteem issues, who, nonetheless continues to captivate. But that is the man that is revealed in The Richard Burton Diariesin his own words.
The Richard Burton Diaries Sweepstakes offers an intimate glimpse into one of Richard Burton's greatest loves: Wales. Inspired by the epic romance between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, the Grand Prize is provided courtesy of Visit Wales and Lynott Tours and includes:
- Roundtrip coach air transportation to Britain.
- 6 days / 5 nights' accommodation in Wales with stops in the capital, Cardiff, Dylan Thomass home, Swansea and Burton and Taylors seaside getaway, Tenby.
- Ground transfers and rail transportation in Wales.
- A visit to Richard Burton's hometown of Pontrhydyfen where you can walk the recently opened Richard Burton Trail.
- A private driver-guide excursion to charming Tenby where Burton and Taylor vacationed.
- A chance to meet Chris Williams, editor of The Richard Burton Diaries , tour the Richard Burton Centre at Swansea University, view Burton's original diaries (subject to scheduling availability).
- Four runners-up will receive The Richard Burton Diaries , courtesy of Yale University Press.
Log on to www.visitwales.com/usa to enter the sweepstakes and explore the exclusive blog series, Richard Burton: Loving Liz, Loving Wales.
By Bob Titley, 2013-08-15
Bob Titley, The Robert Titley Consultancy
Vacation like a Royal
Anglesey Experiences for Royal Enthusiasts
New York, NY, August 15, 2013 - Vacation like a royal on the Isle of Anglesey where William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have spent the first two years of their marriage. The islands scenery, budding culinary scene, and traditional Welsh hospitality have charmed the couple, and travelers can follow in their footsteps with these five Anglesey experiences for royal enthusiasts.
How to vacation like a royal:
1. Walk the Wales Coast Path The walking path stretches 870 miles around the shores of Wales; 125 of which wrap around Anglesey. On average, it takes 12 days to complete but visitors can do short trails with stops at South Stack lighthouse, the Menai Suspension Bridge, the sea cliffs at Rhoscolyn, and Llanddwyn Island the place dedicated to the Welsh Patron Saint of lovers.
2. Take a day tour of Anglesey Excursions North Wales is a tour company that offers an Amazing Isle of Anglesey day tour stopping at: the RAF Valley air force base (where Prince William works), South Stack nature reserve and lighthouse, Plas Cadnant Hidden Gardens, and the Menai Suspension Bridge which features views across the Menai Straits.
3. Visit a stately home Plas Newydd is set on the Menai Straits and boasts views of Snowdonia. The country-house currently belongs to the Marquess of Anglesey. While there, take a walk through the gardens or have afternoon tea its a favorite of the Duke and Duchess.
4. Explore a castle Beaumaris Castle is a medieval fortress that dates back to the 13 th century when King Edward I commissioned it to defeat the Welsh rebels. It is surrounded by stone walls and a moat, and it belongs to the Castles and Town Walls of King Edward in Gwynedd UNESCO World Heritage Site.
5. Stay in shadows of nobility Visitors can discover the variety of accommodation options on Anglesey from the private-estate turned boutique, five-star accommodation at Plas Rhianfa, to the 15 th century coaching inn and pub at Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn. They can also rent a farmhouse just like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Coastal Holidays offers cottage rentals on the island.
On August 14 th , 2013 Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, made his first public appearance at the Anglesey Show an agricultural show in North Wales since the birth of his son. He described his experience living on the Isle of Anglesey saying, I know that I speak for Catherine when I say that I have never in my life known somewhere as beautiful and as welcoming as Anglesey. The views across the Menai Straits are undoubtedly among the most stunning in the British Isles. I know that both of us will miss it terribly when my search and rescue tour of duty comes to an end next month and we have to move elsewhere." He added, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for making my wife and me so welcome when we arrived here, as you do thousands of visitors each year.
Request more information about Wales by contacting Visit Wales by E-mail: email@example.com and online at www.usa.visitwales.com : http://americas.visitwales.com/?utm_source=pressrelease&utm_medium=pressrelease&utm_campaign=vacationlikearoyal
Plas Rhianfa www.plasrhianfa.com
Ye Olde Bulls Head www.bullsheadinn.co.uk
By Bob Titley, 2013-07-11
The Wales Coast Path is in the running to become the 8th Wonder of the World. In a competition sponsored by VirtualTourist.com and TripAdvisor voting is now open for the selection of places nominated.
Please place your vote for the Wales Coast Path on
8th Wonder of the World | Contest Vote Page - VirtualTourist.com and share with as many contacts as you can.
By Bob Titley, 2013-11-25
Visit Wales and Travel+Leisure Offer a Lucky Winner
Exclusive Bloomingdales Dream Vacation: Opulence and Escape
New York, New York November 25, 2013
Fashionable travelers can enter a sweepstakes for a chance to win a Bloomingdale's: Opulence and Escape vacation in Wales. One winner and a guest will discover Snowdonia National Park and the Island of Anglesey, two scenic destinations that formed the rugged backdrop for a photo shoot featured in Bloomingdale's 2013 fall menswear catalogues. The prize trip is provided courtesy of Visit Wales and Travel+Leisure magazine.
The luxurious 7 day, 6 night vacation package features round trip transatlantic flights, a rental car and pampered stays at two Welsh country estates: the Victorian Chateau Rhianfa Hotel - www.chateaurhianfa.com - inspired by Loire Valley architecture and stunningly situated overlooking the Menai Straits, and Bodysgallen Hall - www.bodysgallen.com a 17 th century manor with 13 th century origins. The winner will experience local culture with visits to Bodnant Food Centre www.bodnant-welshfood.co.uk and the Isle of Anglesey recent home of royal residents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. They'll explore the quirky architectural marvel, Portmeirion, an Italianate-style village on the coast and setting for the iconic 1960s TV series The Prisoner. A seven day Welsh Explorer Pass will grant them entry to numerous historic attractions and UNESCO World Heritage sites like Caernarfon Castle, site of HRH Prince Charles Investiture as Prince of Wales and the formidable Conwy Castle.
The sweepstakes runs until February 7, 2014. Enter once daily and view official terms and conditions at www.usa.visitwales.com
By Bob Titley, 2013-08-20
Welsh Diva Iris Williams Returns to New York Citys Cabaret Scene
Completes Her Romantic Musical Journey
In Performance at Metropolitan Room on October 6 and 20
New York, NY August 20, 2013 International song stylist Iris Williams returns to the New York cabaret scene in two appearances at the popular new Flatiron jazz venue, The Metropolitan Room. The intimate 115-seat space is one of the few remaining cabaret rooms in America. Ms. Williams will transport you on A Romantic Musical Journey as she interprets standards by the likes of Rogers and Hart, Duke Ellington and Jerome Kern on October 6 and October 20 at 9:30 pm. Iris Williams :: Metropolitan Room Manhattan, NYC, music, jazz, jazz .
To quote The New York Times Stephen Holden, This demure Welsh singer has one of the most striking voices in all of cabaret... The vivacious and elegant chanteuse, who always performs with a mischievous twinkle in her eye - Iris Williams - I'm Gonna Live 'Til I Die - YouTube says, Im over the moon excited at coming back to the New York cabaret circuit. The Metropolitan Rooms coziness suits me down to the ground. Itll let me keep the audience where I like them up close in a hug or cwtch as we say in Welsh.
Ms. Williams, a favorite of Presidents and Royalty, was born in Pontypridd, Wales. Her exceptional talent and rich, warm contralto have impelled her far beyond the borders of her beloved Wales. A scholarship student at The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, she eventually decided to transition away from opera. Her instincts were rewarded and her classical training helped Iris to thrive when her honest and touching rendition of He Was Beautiful went gold and propelled the already-accomplished singing actress along a different path, launching her international career. You might say shes been on a musical journey all her own.
Now based in New York, the much-loved songstress still performs frequently in Wales. Awarded the OBE (Order of the British Empire) in 2004 by Queen Elizabeth II for her musical accomplishments and her work with charity, Iris Williams has performed with Bob Hope and Rosemary Clooney, for President Gerald Ford, the British Royal Family and at The Algonquins iconic Oak Room.
Catch Iris Williams at The Metropolitan Room in New York Citys Flatiron District on October 6 or October 20 at 9:30pm. www.themetropolitanroom.com ; 34 West 22 Street; 212 206 0440.
By Bob Titley, 2013-10-04
The Robert Titley Consultancy
(917) 690 8418
The Welsh Government Announces Dylan Thomas 100
2014 Cultural Festival To Celebrate the Life, Work and Legacy of Fabled Welsh Poet
New www.dylanthomas100.org for All Things Dylan, Including 2014 Events
The Prince of Wales, Royal Patron of Dylan Thomas 100 , Records One of His Favorite Dylan Thomas Poems, 'Fern Hill, to Mark National Poetry Day
New York, October 3, 2013 Today, October 3, is National Poetry Day in Wales. What more appropriate time to talk about the countrys storied poet Dylan Thomas. The centenary of Dylan Thomass birth (born Swansea: October 27, 1914; died New York City: November 9, 1953) will be celebrated by a yearlong countrywide cultural festival- Dylan Thomas 100 - in Wales in 2014. A new interactive map-based and eponymously named digital hub www.dylanthomas100.org makes it easy and fun to discover Dylan Thomas, explore places in Wales he is connected with, engage via social networking and locate festival events via a Timeline tab.
The site www.americas.visitwales.com is a resource for planning your Dylan-themed trip to Wales and for downloading a program of Dylan Thomas 100 events. The program will be updated regularly.
The Dylan Thomas 100 Festivals Royal Patron, HRH Prince Charless new reading of Fern Hill is now available online at http://www.dylanthomas100.org/english/multimedia/prince-charles-reads-fern-hill/ . Fern Hill' is one of Thomas's best known poems. The Prince of Wales said: "For National Poetry Day, I was very
glad, if somewhat hesitant!to be able to record a reading of one of my personal favorites, 'Fern Hill', with its poignant and moving evocation of a rural west Wales childhood. I cannot help feeling this is one of the great legacies of Thomas's poetry that it inspires people to appreciate the incomparable landscape of Wales."
Honorary Patron and Dylans granddaughter, Hannah Ellis has joined the Welsh Government in endorsing Dylan Thomas 100 and its digital hub.
Dylan Thomas 100 and www.dylanthomas100.org will of course highlight Welsh locations closely associated with the poet-like his birthplace, Swansea, his old writing shed, and his home -The Boathouse - in the town of Laugharne. And New Quay-template for the Under Milk Wood village, Llareggub (bugger all spelled backwards!). However, the festival encompasses the entire country and beyond. And the program ranges across all artistic disciplines from literature, to opera, theatre and painting. From high profile exhibits and live performances to community-based educational programs.
This celebration will transcend geographic boundaries, stretching beyond Wales to New York. In one of its most inventive and ambitious projects, National Theatre Wales, in cooperation with BBC Wales, will stage a multimedia global event. In a combination of live broadcast, film and performance, a distinguished Welsh cast will engage with contemporary Welsh poet Owen Sheers 60-minute version of Under Milk Wood in a transatlantic live-linked event, with characters and voices in various locations from Laugharne to New York. For the live theater audiences, this may be an intimate audience of six in a dressing room with actor Eve Myles (TORCHWOOD) or hundreds on a street in Laugharne with Artistic Director / Actor Michael Sheen (FROST / NIXON; THE QUEEN).
Business and Tourism Minister Edwina Hart said: Dylan Thomas is one of the literary giants of the last century. These events will help contribute to a fitting legacy for Dylans life and work, but I also hope they will resurrect a passion for literature and inspire people of all ages to connect more actively with our rich cultural heritage. In the spirit of Dylan, it is an opportunity to showcase Wales as a land of artistic excellence to an international audience and raise further the iconic status of this great literary figure.