The Best Statue in Wales ?

Teulu
@teulu
03/27/18 11:42:48AM
2 posts

Can't take credit for the photo it's from The Daily Post.This statue was only erected in 2007 because the people of Corwen didn't believe the previous one correctly represented Glyndwr's impact on Welsh history

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
03/25/18 10:39:45PM
568 posts

Teulu:

S'mae.New on here and totally agree with you about this statue.It is a haunting representation of a man who died for his country.According to the story the reason Llywelyn would not divulge Glyndwr's position is that his sons were fighting alongside the Welsh leader.As a fan of Owain Glyndwr I have a soft spot for the statue in Corwen                                                                                                                                         

Great statue! Great photo! I was in Corwen about 20 years ago but somehow managed to miss this??? Will pay more attention next time I'm in town :)

Teulu
@teulu
03/25/18 08:26:36AM
2 posts

S'mae.New on here and totally agree with you about this statue.It is a haunting representation of a man who died for his country.According to the story the reason Llywelyn would not divulge Glyndwr's position is that his sons were fighting alongside the Welsh leader.As a fan of Owain Glyndwr I have a soft spot for the statue in Corwen                                                                                                                                         

Corwen.jpg
Corwen.jpg  •  104KB

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
07/02/13 07:57:26PM
568 posts

Great photos.....diolch for posting Lawrence

Lawrence Davies2
@lawrence-davies2
07/02/13 07:44:13PM
5 posts

Travelling through Llandovery in Camarthenshire years ago I saw a statue which I think has to be amongst the most striking and beautiful representations of a Welsh 'hero' that I have ever seen, it commemorates Llewelyn ap Gruffyd, a local supporter of the Welsh rebellion led by Owain Glyndwr. Llewelyn was a local landowner, who was forced to assist Henry IV in his search for Glyndwr. One story has it that Llewelyn led Henry into the wilderness for many miles before the King questioned whether Llewelyn was going in the right direction. Llewelyn then revealed himself as a man who would never ever lead the King to his Prince. Infuriated, King Henry had him drawn, hung and then beheaded in front of Llandovery Castle.

What is most striking about the statue is that it sits somewhere between Darth Vader and traditional representations of Death, with an empty space where a face would be. Haunting and elegant, the statue is made from stainless steel, and is beautifully worked.

updated by @lawrence-davies2: 11/11/15 10:38:56PM