Llundain a'r Temys and the isle of the Cymry

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
03/25/13 08:37:08PM
31 posts

Ynys Avallach or Avalon has been attributed to a number of different locations. Glastonbury is one, although from what I am reading, it seems possible that is the result of a marketing gimic. Others point to the Isle of Man, linking it to the Irish tradition. I've never heard of a single specific entrance to Annwn - it has always seemed to me that Annwn was reached by many paths, and often without even realizing it initially. But I'm far from an expert.

Anumpeshi Aduddell
@anumpeshi-aduddell
03/25/13 08:04:03PM
19 posts

THERE IS SOMETIMES A TENDENCY TO LUMP ALL CELTIC LANGUAGES INTO A COMMON POT. Q-GAELIC IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE IRISH, SCOTTISH AND MANX GAELS WHEREAS P-GAELIC IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE WELSH, CORNISH BRETON FRENCH AND POSSIBLY THE PICTS. THEY ARE QUITE DIFFERENT AND IN FACT THERE IS SOME CONTROVERSY WHETHER P-GAELIC MAY BE A LANGUAGE ISOLATE AND NOT AN INDO-EUROPEAN LANGUAGE PER SE. THE LANGUAGE OF THE TROJANS WAS LUWIAN AND IS STILL SOMEWHAT OF A QUESTION HOWEVER IT IS BELIEVED TO BE AN OLD ANATOLIAN LANGUAGE RELATED TO HITTITE WHICH MAY HAVE SIMILARITIES TO CYMRAEG. THAT SAID OF COURSE THE BRUT Y BRENHINEDD DEFINITELY ATTRIBUTES BRAN OF TROY TO BE ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF THE CYMRU. AND OF COURSE APOLLO, AVALON AND AFALLACH ARE INTER-RELATED BUT WHO OR WHERE IS AFALLACH AND IS THIS OR IT AN ENTRANCE TO ANNWN?

YN YR YSBRYD O DAWNSWYR YSBRYD

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
03/25/13 07:43:22PM
31 posts

I've heard of the Troy connection before, and it is interesting that the Celtic languages seem to have more affinity with the Latin and Greek than any other IE language group. I don't know that I'd take it as history, but there seems to be an element of truth in there!

The Apollo part I've never heard before - THAT I find REALLY interesting!

Anumpeshi Aduddell
@anumpeshi-aduddell
03/25/13 07:39:56PM
19 posts

HEART OF SKY SISTER

FASCINATING INFO ON THE LEGEND OF APOLLO AND HIS SISTER ARTEMIS,I LOOK FORWARD TO SHARING MANY LEGENDS AND HISTORY'S WELL KEPT SECRETS WITH YOU ALONG THIS JOURNEY

YN YR YSBRYD O DAWNSWYR YSBRYD

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
03/25/13 07:09:56PM
302 posts

Anumpeshi Aduddell asked me a question which I cannot answer about Llundain a'r Temys! In an effort to learn more, I looked at the internet and came across www.lundyisleofavalon.co.uk , which has a great deal of information on these islands' Celtic history and mythology.

Llundain/Londinium/London does have an important place in Druidic lore as the place where the head of Bran is buried (in the White Hill - wherever that is) and apparently protects the island.

There's a great deal to read on this site and I've only just skimmed the surface of a few pages so far. I did not know about Apollo's temples (apparently there were two) or that Apollo's mother, Leto, was said to come from the isle of the Hyperboreans (as the people of these islands were known to the Greeks). Having a soft spot for Apollo, this is very interesting news to me. According to the site, Apollo was not a native Greek god but he (and his sister Artemis) were "imported" from the Hyperboreans and his name "Apple-man" was associated with the apples sent by the druids to the Greeks as a gift. Cicero said that Apollo left Delphi for three months each year to live with the Hyperboreans.

I also found this on the website:

"And no one has a right to this island except only the nation of the Cymry, the remnant of the Britons who came here in former days from Troy".

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 12/17/15 01:50:10AM