The Shining Company by Rosemary Sutcliff

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/22/12 08:51:51PM
302 posts

Lindsey Davis, author of the wonderful Falco series of books (if you haven't yet read these, I really recommend them) has a new book out called Master and God which is about the Emperor Domitian. Davis is an avowed fan of Rosemary Sutcliff and mentions in passing "The Girl I Kissed at Clusium", a song which Sutcliff wrote for her Eagle novels. I suspect that although Sutcliff was brought up in a gentler age, she might have been secretly amused by Davis's own military song suggestion: "The Boy I Kissed at Colonia Aggripinensis".

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
04/27/12 12:39:06PM
302 posts

Back to R Sutcliff again! I got A Sword at Sunset, one of her adult books, which is a really interesting take on the Arthur story and clearly took a lot of historical research. Arthur in this is known as Artos the Bear and is created Count of Britain by Ambrosius, taking over from Ambrosius after his death. As in Mary Stewart's books, the Guinevere figure's lover is Bedwyr (both soldier and harpist/bard). The story focuses on the almost relentless tide of invaders and Artos's similarly relentless battle to turn that tide. While not as romantic as the usual Arthur stories, it is very moving and I recommend it.

A young person's book, The Outcast, is also worth reading. Beric, who is found as a tiny babyat the seashore after a Roman boat is wrecked on the south coast of what is now England (the Romney Marsh area) and taken in by a native tribesman, faces difficulties in being accepted by certain members of the tribe. Although he proves himself in all sorts of ways, there comes a time when he is blamed for things that have happened (bad weather, dead lambs etc) and cast out from the tribe. Being at least half Roman, he is told to go to his own people even though he has no experience of Romans and doesn't speak Latin. The book tells of the hard times he goes through over the next 4 years.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
04/15/12 02:43:52PM
302 posts

Just another mention for Rosemary Sutcliff. I got "Sun Horse, Moon Horse" which is Sutcliff's take on the beautiful chalk Uffington horse. Her story has a member of the Iceni actually creating the horse although I won't give away the entire story of how that came about. Yet again, it's a wonderful tale and would make a marvellous film/TV drama. The website www.hows.org.uk has pictures of the horse which is the most extraordinary work of art and really gives an impression of a horse galloping across the landscape (and it is over 2000 years old).In theauthor's note at the start of the book, Sutcliff mentions TC Lethbridge's theory (from his bookWitches)that the Iceni (which apparently means Horse People) who inhabited what is now East Anglia became the Epidi of Argyll (Epidi also meaning Horse People). Another one to get from your library!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
04/09/12 10:50:55AM
302 posts

I'm pleased to have had a response regarding Rosemary Sutcliff, thank you. Her books will never leave my shelves. I confess that I have not seen the recent Eagle film; the reviews were not very good and I have an affection for the BBC's version of The Eagle of the Ninth (with Anthony Higgins). I'm going to check on any Sutcliff novels which I haven't already read as I really enjoyed The Shining Company; I actually found a couple of tears running down my cheek as the remaining company left Catraeth for the final battle against the Saxons. What a wonderful film it would make, providing it was made with respect for the book (and in the native languages!).

Rosemary Sutcliff
@rosemary-sutcliff
04/09/12 09:28:16AM
1 posts

There are few better ways of learning Celtic and British history, for , as my relative Rosemary Sutcliff used to say of who she wrote for, all children aged 8 to 88! As a review quoted at the official Rosemary Sutcliff website today said " Rosemary Sutcliffs Roman Britain series is historical fiction at its best excellent historical details, interesting characters, compelling stories, and a seamless blend of fiction with history". I too enjoy The Shining Company. In fact, several of her books are retellings of Celtic legends ...

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
04/08/12 09:40:07PM
568 posts

Dioch for the reminder Gaynor....I had quite forgotten about Rosemary Sutcliff......will track down this book at the library

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
04/08/12 11:10:10AM
302 posts

I've recently been looking back at my Rosemary Sutcliff novels and realised that I hadn't actually read all of her work although she has been a part of my reading life since I was a child.

I sent for The Shining Company which is based on the great bard Aneurin's song of The Gododdin. Given the nature of the song, Sutcliff had to fill in the gaps, as it were, and it makes for a wonderful and moving story. It's also of interest to members of the Roman Group as the great final battle takes place at Caractonium or Catraeth in the Brythonic language (now Catterick and still a military installation after nearly 2000 years).

The tale starts in Gwynedd, where Prosper (our hero) is reading Herodotus's account of the Battle of Thermopylae. The magic number is of course 300; the same number of warriors that accompanied Artos the Bear (Arthur) at Bedon. Arthur is long gone but still lives in the hearts of the Britons and it's now nearing the end of the 6th century AD.

In what is now Northumberland, the Saxons are gathering and strengthening their hold on that area with a view to taking over more of the country. Prosper and his bondservant, Conn, go to Dyn Eidin (Edinburgh) fromGwyneddto join the Lord Gorthyn at the King Mynyddog's castle. Prosper is to be Gorthyn's squire. With Mynyddog's promise that other men, from other kingdoms, will join them in the battle, the 300 warriors and their men are trained in battle and then travel down to Catraeth to face the Saxons. Aneurin accompanies them, portrayed by Sutcliff as a former fighting man himself, as well as something of a healer.

Of course, we all know what happens but Sutcliff's writing is quite magical, particularly when the warriors leave the fort for the final encounter with the Saxons - the description of the men in their wolfskin cloaks riding through the mist is haunting. Throughout in Prosper's mind the words on the plaque at Thermopylae repeat themselves: "Go tell the Spartans, oh stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie", so there's a sense of doom from the start but it's still a wonderful story.

Rosemary Sutcliff had a very special way of evoking the Roman and pre-Saxon period and I think she had a real respect for the Celtic period, its language(s), history and mythology. While people of any age can appreciate her books, there are certainly worse ways of learning the history of Britain for children and young people.

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 11/11/15 10:38:14PM