More about David Gwynn's "Wales in the Golden Age of Picture Postcards" (amberley-books.com)

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/30/11 04:44:21PM
302 posts

Silly of me:

www.second-time.co.uk

Sorry about that. Smacked bottom and off to bed with no supper for me!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/30/11 04:24:49PM
302 posts

In the book are pictures of ancient Welsh ladies taking tea and so on. There are now a couple of companies producing greeting cards using similar pictures, and some of them are very funny. There's www.secondtime.co.uk which also has calendars featuring the Welsh ladies in stovepipe hats. And there's Tidy Cards which, paradoxically, are available from www.heartsdesirescotland.com . The latter are a bit naughty at times!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/30/11 12:07:35PM
302 posts

This book is turning out to be very interesting and informative. From 26th July to 7th August, 1909, there was a National Pageant of Wales - a celebration of Welsh history. 27 episodes from Wales's history were played out and the Marchioness of Bute was created Dame Wales for the occasion.

Further on in the book there's a very amusing postcard "In Loving Remembrance of Poor Old England", this was to celebrate the defeat of England by Wales on the Rugby field in 1907.

Two of my favourites are:

"Wales was Wales before England wass wass" (sic) which alludes to the fact that Wales is far more ancient culture than England.

Another card showing Columbus arriving in the New World, only to find it already populated by the Welsh. This comical one shows a druid wearing a native American feathered headdress alongside women in their stovepipe hats and plaid skirts.

There are plenty of panoramic views etc. too so I really recommend this book.

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 11/11/15 10:37:50PM