A Welsh Hard-Rock Mine

Stephen Peter Lloyd Harvey
@stephen-peter-lloyd-harvey
04/01/11 11:49:36PM
1 posts

Silver-Lead Mining was once a major industry in Cardiganshire (Ceredigion) and Montgomeryshire. In 1860 there were over 100 mines in operation. The 1880's were unkind! Competition from Australia and Colorado wrecked the market. Many of our Welsh Miners emigrated to the Red Mountain Mining area of Colorado (San Juan Mountains) near Silverton.

We have rescued a whole mine from obscurity and reconstructed it! Now I need to retire (it's taken 36 years to achieve) and we have looked at open market sale! Not really applicable to such an important part of he Welsh heritage?. We are looking at ways of making it a not-for-profit venture but it needs careful planning and enough money to acquire the site/collections in the first place. Any ideas would be welcome. The old mine is too precious to lose from the Wales context. Have a look at us on www.silverminetours.co.uk or www.pumlumon.org.uk

If you have any suggestions on how to help the mine change its status, please get in touch. We would love to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Peter

updated by @stephen-peter-lloyd-harvey: 11/11/15 10:37:47PM