Welsh Tartans

Warren G. Williams
@warren-g-williams
03/28/13 05:43:25PM
2 posts

Thank you to all for the information; this gives me a start. And excellent article Matthew!

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
03/15/13 11:15:28PM
31 posts

I also found this site . Like Gaynor, I have it in my head that trousers or something of that sort would be involved, but I'm having trouble justifying it. The more I look, the more it seems that (for men), the "normal" costume would be a linen tunic and a brychan (square, woolen cloak) - and likely no shoes. They apparently didn't think that much of them!

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
03/15/13 11:12:17PM
31 posts

Wow - a royal show!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
03/15/13 11:03:45PM
302 posts

Yes, they would have wrapped themselves in woollen plaid and worn leggings (I think the Romans looked down on them for wearing trousers or something like trousers). The Scottish kilt as we know it now is quite modern and came about because people got all romantic about Scotland during Victorian times or thereabouts.

There's a wonderful photo of the Queen with an Irish regiment all wearing kilts. One of the men sitting near her was sitting with his thighs apart and no underpants. Her Majesty had a lovely smile on her face!

Tod Enders
@tod-enders
03/15/13 10:50:47PM
31 posts

From what I understand (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong), they are VERY modern. In fact, I think the standard Scottish kilt is far more modern than people may think, although I could be mistaken. There's very little information to be had about mediaeval Welsh costume, but probably the closest thing would be a Welsh cloak (llen or brychan) which might well be woven in a colorful twill. Likely, the same square cloak was originally worn by the Picts as well, but in Scotland it eventually evolved into the great kilt (" breacan an fheilidh "), whereas the Welsh continued to use it solely as a cloak. What they wore beneath the cloak is, I think, pretty much a mystery. Most likely a longish tunic. But the cloak was known as characteristically Welsh. Here's a spot to look at what is, and isn't, known. Good luck!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
03/15/13 10:45:56PM
302 posts

There is a store/website called www.welsh-tartan.com which has a list of all Welsh tartans and examples of them. I don't really know anything about them otherwise.

Warren G. Williams
@warren-g-williams
03/15/13 09:19:02PM
2 posts

I'd like to know your thoughts about Welsh Tartans. I have read some discussions about them and recognize they are a relatively modern adaptation in relation to the ancient Scottish Tartans. But, I felt this would be a good forum to find out what you might know so any information would be appreciated. I coach youth rugby in southern California and wish to sport my cilt along with my Yr Driag Goch tattooed on my left shoulder on match day. Thanks for your thoughts.

updated by @warren-g-williams: 11/11/15 10:38:49PM