Wilfred De'ath says he'd rather kill himself than spend 2 days in Carmarthenshire

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
11/28/12 12:24:47PM
302 posts

Once again, Carmarthen Council has appeared in Private Eye's Rotten Boroughs column. This time it's to do with the Wilfred De'Ath issue. Those of you who follow @Caebrwyn on Twitter will know that she requested an explanation from the Council as to why no one had Googled the man before offering him a free holiday on the ratepayers of Carmarthenshire; they replied that they didn't have the time to check out every journalist. A Google search would have revealed in seconds just what sort of man he is.

I've now lost track of the number of times CC has appeared in Private Eye. They carry on regardless.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
11/14/12 04:52:52PM
302 posts

Today, finally, the Carmarthen Journal printed a rather small comment on Mr De'Ath in a remote corner of the paper mentioning the holiday paid for by Carmarthenshire Tourism and the Savile affair. This week, Jacqui Thompson (@Caebrwyn on Twitter) posted some comments on her blog regarding the fact that information about Mr De'Ath's criminal conviction and other matters is freely available on the internet andthe Council would have done well to check on the man before offering him a free trip. She has now requested a statement from the Council press office so we'll see whether anything is forthcoming!

Iona Wyn Hall
@iona-wyn-hall
10/24/12 06:23:45PM
22 posts

Don't know how he sleeps at night.He should be locked up again for failing to report Jimmy Sovile Paedophileto the police.These were 10-12 year old vulnerablechildren. Sick beyond belief.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/24/12 05:53:55PM
302 posts

I can only go by what I've read in a Guardian article and in an article from Private Eye but apparently Mr De'Ath has also spent time in prison for defrauding hotels. I wonder if Carmarthenshire Tourism knew about that before treating him so well!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/24/12 04:32:13PM
302 posts

I'm sure we'll all be thrilled to know that Mr De'Ath has revised his opinion of Carmarthenshire followingan expenses-paid visit to the county (paid for by Carmarthenshire Tourism, apart from his train fare from Cambridge - as he doesn't fail to remind us). He was pleasantly surprised that Llandeilo was not the"peasant town" he was expecting. Showing a dry sense of humour themselves, the tourism people put him up in a B&B in Rhosmaen called Ty Menyn, Mr De'Ath having complained of not being allowed extra butter at breakfastduring his previous visit.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/23/12 06:08:32PM
302 posts

I've just read that in 1987 the same Mr De'Ath made disparaging remarks about the town of Corby Glen; the following year, the people of that town invited him to the Sheep Fair, put him in the stocks and threw wet sponges at him. Something to think about!

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
10/23/12 06:00:56PM
302 posts

Mr De'Ath writes for The Oldie and claimed that there are no real shops in Carmarthen and nowhere to eat except takeaways. In addition,some rain had the temerity to fall on him during his stay. He also accused the person running the B&B where he stayed (not named in the Carmarthen Journal article) of being mean with butter. He shows a singular lack of imagination and common sense; Carmarthen has a bustling shopping centre with an excellent market, the usual High Street shops and enough interesting and individual shops to keep anyone interested, plus art galleries and a lovely museum. As for eating well, there are several excellent restaurants and good, inexpensive places to stay in the town. In the countryside, we have beautiful scenery, wonderful monuments and castles, Aberglasney House, the Botanic Gardens, seaside places to visit and plenty of cultural institutions and craftsmen and women. He may have been writing a tongue-in-cheek article but comments like those he made can affect Carmarthen as a tourist destination.

If this is the same Wilfred De'Ath who used to be a BBC producer (and how many people can there be with that name?), I can't say much for the standards of the BBC.

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 11/11/15 10:38:30PM