Linkin up - yn papurau newydd!

Ceridwen Keeley
@ceridwen-keeley
02/14/12 04:07:59AM
19 posts

Depends on the date and day of the week, but, maybe Charleston, SC.

Rhian Waller
@rhian-waller
02/11/12 04:04:34PM
7 posts

Dude, I was in Bulgaria in August a couple of years ago doing garden work after a bout of vicious food poisoning. My hosts told me temperatures peaked at around 48C. If I can hang from a cherry tree at 42C in industrial city smog* I'm pretty sure I can sit in a rail carriage. :p I've also been round Florida while it felt like the clouds were trying to squeeze your brain.

Weather is all part of it. I was considering some storm chasing as well.

* Yep, you read that right. It was a very strange set up.

Brian y Tarw Llwyd
@brian-y-tarw-llwyd
02/11/12 01:56:47AM
33 posts

Well, Rhian, by the looks of your map, someone didn't check with the weatherman, or somebody has it in for you. hehe Let's see: August on the eastern seaboard and the gulf coast will likely have you dealing with hot and humid weather... can you say muggy? How about double muggy? Congress isn't in session because they all want out of DC due to the abominable weather conditions. I was in DC in August once, and it was 100% humidity (raining) and 99 degrees F. That's a little over 37 degrees C. Then, after heading west from San Antonio to LA to Vegas, Salt Lake City, and back across Nevada, you won't have to worry much about humidity... there won't be any. But the temps can easily reach 105-110F (~40-43C). My advice? Reschedule your trip now... barring that, make sure you stay in the Bar Car, and make the bartender your best friend... maybe even offer to adopt him/her. From the Bay Area to the Pacific Northwest, you'll be happy. Good luck to you! (And I don't blame you for skipping Fresno... too hot to think here in the summer.)

Pob hwyl!

Brian

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
02/11/12 01:50:56AM
568 posts

Well just let us know when you're in town and we'll arrange to meet up. Portland gets about a quarter of an inch less annual average rainfall than Wales...so your mom is right :)

Rhian Waller
@rhian-waller
02/10/12 11:29:49PM
7 posts

Hope AMTRAK is still in business then

Oh don't say that --- it's all crazy enough as it is!

Rhian Waller
@rhian-waller
02/10/12 11:28:41PM
7 posts

Hi Ceri - I will definitely be visiting Portland, as my dearest (and far more Welsh) mother has insisted on joining me for that part of the trip.

She thinks Seattle is like Cardiff: rainy.

Ceri Shaw
@ceri-shaw
02/10/12 04:36:30PM
568 posts

Hi Rhian

If you visit Portland, OR on your travels be sure to let us know. Happy to chat for an hour over a cuppa or a beer.

Cofion

Ceri/Gaabi

Rhian Waller
@rhian-waller
02/10/12 04:06:28PM
7 posts

I've replied to this twice now, and it's erased the text. :|

I said the journey is stuck in a bit of a chicken and egg scenario at the moment, as it will be informed by the whereabouts of the people I'm visiting.

I do have a prelim route though, courtesy of AMTRAK - and I get to NY on June 2.

Rhian Waller
@rhian-waller
02/10/12 04:02:05PM
7 posts

Brian y Tarw Llwyd
@brian-y-tarw-llwyd
02/10/12 03:29:28PM
33 posts

Bore da, Rhian! Thought I'd make a suggestion: in case it has escaped your attention, the US is a rather large place. :-D Perhaps if you gave the Americymru folks an idea of your itinerary, the folks along your path would notice, and be encouraged to make arrangements to meet you. As it stands, your "travelling the US" sounds rather nebulous. So tell us: where might you be found "around late August"?

Cofion,

Brian

Rhian Waller
@rhian-waller
02/10/12 11:54:50AM
7 posts

I'm Rhian, and I'm a journalist from North Wales. I'm going to be travelling the US this summer for a few months, probably around late August, and I have pitched an idea for a regular column to my paper, the Flintshire Leader, and its parent company.

My bosses are keen to get something in to the paper, but they want a specific angle. I thought it would be interesting to visit people with Welsh connections while I'm on the continent - for a cup of tea, or maybe an authentic Welsh rarebit and a chat, and I was hoping your group could help me.

Would any individual members be willing to devote an hour or two for a panad one afternoon?

Please feel free to email me at rhian.waller@hotmail.co.uk or rhian.waller@nwn.co.uk (if you want to reach me in work) convenience.

To check my credentials, visit www.rhyljournal.co.uk to see some of my work. It's a very local paper.

NB: I am not a fluent Welsh speaker.

Regards,

Rhian Waller, Rhos on sea.

updated by @rhian-waller: 11/11/15 10:38:09PM