Politicians claiming to be Welsh

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
09/01/12 11:03:35AM
302 posts

Yes, I understand. Your point about the word "collier" is true; it's not really used so much here now either but at least we know what she's talking about! As for people who left the homeland for the USA, I imagine it was because they were looking for work, just as my Irish great great grandparents left Co. Cork to escape starvation and find work in England. My grandmother's siblings presumably went to the USA for a chance to have a better life.

Madoc Roberts
@madoc-roberts
09/01/12 12:24:00AM
10 posts

Looks like they didn't take your sense of humour after all. (Never used these things before)

Madoc Roberts
@madoc-roberts
09/01/12 12:05:28AM
10 posts

or at least their Welsh root vegetables

Madoc Roberts
@madoc-roberts
08/31/12 11:46:34PM
10 posts

Hello Jack

thankfully I don't take your "warnings" seriously.

Madoc Roberts
@madoc-roberts
08/31/12 11:27:41PM
10 posts

I have heard that Americans don't understand British humour. I had no idea that they removed it upon entry into the USA.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
08/31/12 11:24:08PM
261 posts

Gaynor, I wasn't refering to your post as a rant but to Madoc Roberts' reply to your post. After reading it again, it still strikes me as offensive.

The author of the article is speaking from a UK perspective. Almost all Americans know about the Irishand Ireland but few know about Wales and the Welsh. Hence, how can there be a hidden political advantage to Ann Romney? What's more, if she had intended to gain political advantage, she would not have used the word "collier"..she would have used the term "coal miner" because most Americans do not know what the word collier means unless they've have or had a family member working in the pit.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/31/12 11:09:19PM
302 posts

No wonder the Welsh lady looks as though she's going to throw up! I don't recall my mother ever using lard in her Welsh cakes, it was always Sir Gar butter. No pig fat in my Welsh cakes, diolch yn fawr. Ych a fi.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/31/12 11:05:05PM
302 posts

It's not my rant, or indeed anyone's. The article is simply stating that it's a new phenomenon for American politicians to claim Welsh rather than Irish ancestry. It's the journalist who is asking "Is Wales the new Ireland?", not me. I couldn't care less.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
08/31/12 11:04:00PM
261 posts

My wife uses butter.But formy grandparents during the Great Depression, butter was often unavailable except in rural areas. Lard was a substitute and eventually margarine.

Harold Powell
@harold-powell
08/31/12 10:56:49PM
261 posts

I fail to understand your rant? If you think that she might gain some political advantage (in America) from acknowledging her Welsh grandfather or Welsh father, then you are sorely misinformed.

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/31/12 10:27:33PM
302 posts

I'm more concerned with Ann Romney making her Welsh cakes with lard! I don't know anyone who does that. Butter, woman, butter!

As someone with a vast number of cousins in the USA (especially in Utah), I'm not qualified to answer your question!

Madoc Roberts
@madoc-roberts
08/31/12 09:31:59PM
10 posts

Is there anyway that those of us whose ancestors didn't run away when the going got tough can disown these plastic sentimentalists?

Gaynor Madoc Leonard
@gaynor-madoc-leonard
08/31/12 06:30:51PM
302 posts

updated by @gaynor-madoc-leonard: 12/15/15 01:26:34AM